Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 03-02-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
chemonro
Starter Motor

Default Newbie - Confused about smartlock in EBII

Hi, my name is Che, I'm a newbie here and to fords. I recently bought an EBII falcon GL from a dealer and while it has central locking and the little hexagonal shaped key and a little flashing red light on the dash but I was told that it doesn't have an immobalizer.

This confused me a little at the time since my reading said that late 92 EBs had an immobalizer as standard, and further reading says from 10/92 they had a ford smartlock immobalizer. My build plate is 10/92.

Soooo... How can I perform a visual inspection on the smartlock module? Where is it located and what does it look like?

Also, if it doesn't have a smartlock module are they easy to get hold of and have fitted? I could go to a specialized ford wrecker and get it done I'd guess?

I live in Sunshine, one of Melbourne's least classy suburbs and my last car got stolen and trashed. I can't afford to have that happen again!

Che

chemonro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 09:34 PM   #2
El_Poochino

I think the dealer is a little confused.

I am sure you are right and you do have smartlock, but another member will confirm this.
El_Poochino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
efgiar
rofl copter

red flashing light = smart lock, all eb2's got smart lock. the dealers munches wang chong!

smart lock is a very basic immobiliser and can be effective... to dumbasses

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgiar
red flashing light = smart lock, all eb2's got smart lock. the dealers munches wang chong!

smart lock is a very basic immobiliser and can be effective... to dumbasses
josh, not all series 2 eb's. mine and my mums are both series 2 eb and they dont have smart lock.

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 09:44 PM   #5
efgiar
rofl copter

sorry, all eb2 got smart lock, apare from eb2 pre-smart lock ones

thats all
Old 04-02-2007, 08:13 AM   #6
chemonro
Starter Motor

Cool.... So am I better off getting a replacement immobalizer fitted... When I can afford it? And will that mean using two remotes?

Anyway, I'm glad it's got the red flashing light/smatlock cos that makes me feel a bit more secure. I'm using a club lock as well. I don't think the thieves around here are hugely sophisticated, chuck enough difficulties at them and they'll go and steal something easier.

My other main security measure is keeping the original ford tape player because it's not worth stealing.

Che
chemonro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
holmsy
Banned

with that. im just woundering the car im getting seems to have the standard ford remote then it has a mamoth alarm which has another remote. is there an easy way to get both remotes into one? eg a programable remote with 3-4 buttons?
and no glue and sticky tape is not an option :
holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 07:11 PM   #8
efgiar
rofl copter

any alarm can be bipassed. best way is to set up a unique killswitch somewere hidden were no one can find it but u

thats all
Old 04-02-2007, 07:28 PM   #9
sammi anderson

Hi there...

If you have a red flashing smartlock light on the dash you already have the smartlock as without it the light wont flash... to find the smart lock box it is located uner the left hand of the dash where the Hand brake is there should be a red and a green box...pretty sure from memory its the red box thats the smartlock..

things that can immobilise the car so you can see if its working is the wires behind the stereo (pain in the but to remove just to see if its working) or removing the interior light (which also act as a fuse for the smart lock) if this light goes you will not be able to start the car...

If you are looking at changing the stereo just make sure that you make sure it wired correctly... i changed mine when i first brought the car and didnt know about the smart lock wire ( useually green and gold wire) it took 3 days and a lot of auto leckies later and still no go for the car it was only by reading a achived post that i foound out about the wire and the interior globe...

Anyways enought ranting i hope you find this helpful

cheers Sammi
sammi anderson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #10
LUXO_8
windsor user

the smartlock system is an imobiliser mate......you dont need to add another imobiliser.

if you're that worried, you should add a killswitch somewhere........fuel pump loom is a good one to tapp into.

that said...if they really want your car...they'll steal it no matter what you do....... they can always rock up with a flatbed and take it that way :S

when i get an alarm ( i really should have had one by now) i'll more than likley be having the siren fitted inside the car rather than under the bonnet...... nobody does anything these days when you hear a car alarm.....but i can bet ya that no thief would sit inside the car with the alarm going off its tree
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 12:44 AM   #11
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
the smartlock system is an imobiliser mate......you dont need to add another imobiliser.

if you're that worried, you should add a killswitch somewhere........fuel pump loom is a good one to tapp into.

that said...if they really want your car...they'll steal it no matter what you do....... they can always rock up with a flatbed and take it that way :S

when i get an alarm ( i really should have had one by now) i'll more than likley be having the siren fitted inside the car rather than under the bonnet...... nobody does anything these days when you hear a car alarm.....but i can bet ya that no thief would sit inside the car with the alarm going off its tree
thats an awesome idea..me likey

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post