Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-04-2005, 03:57 PM   #1
Slick
Starter Motor

Question Hiclone fuel saver??????

Hi everyone,

Has anyone in this forum used Hiclone fuel saver?. if so, is there any improvement in fuel economy & power.
What I like to know is, the economy side of things, especially with the price of fuel this day's.
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

No, its a complete and utter waste of money.
You get the same result by half blocking your intake with a footy sock, they are that bad.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2005, 04:10 PM   #3
Slick
Starter Motor

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
No, its a complete and utter waste of money.
You get the same result by half blocking your intake with a footy sock, they are that bad.
Thanks man,
What about those fuelMax magnetic thingy you attach to your fuel line?
Old 10-04-2005, 04:14 PM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick
Thanks man,
What about those fuelMax magnetic thingy you attach to your fuel line?
lol, if you can think of just one scientific reason why they can possibly work, get it. Otherwise save your money for another tank of fuel.... probably the better option.

Unfortunatly there is no "cheap" way of getting better economy.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:15 PM   #5
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Just as bad. Look at it this way, if any of these devices were even remotely close to doing anything beneficial, car manufacturers would have adopted them in some form ages ago. Since they haven't, you can guess exactly how much use they are!
Old 10-04-2005, 05:12 PM   #6
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

they might work better in conjunction with an electric supercharger :P :

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2005, 07:18 PM   #7
Slick
Starter Motor

It sound's like you've learned from experiencing the negative side of it. So from your personal experience, it does not work.
I would like to hear from those people who have tried it negative or positive or point us to a more detailed explanation why it doesn't work, maybe from an oil company's point of view.

Is this why car makers are moving away from honeycomb shape air flow sensors. I've seen it on my old 1994 magna. Maybe we should ring up all the car makers & have them recalled. its a restriction to air flow.

I have an open mind, always learning new things & ideas. this is the perfect place for it. I now know that I can get better economy by installing headers, a more free flowing straight throu exhurst system, better air fitter. any other ideas are more then welcome, please no unichip recommendation, I rather have a learning ECU then programmable one. maybe that is something down the line if I'm thinking about installing a powerdyne, that will be a justifiable reason.

I'm open for ideas.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:54 PM   #8
EFFalcon
Last warning

why is it that AU forums cop all the dodgy mod ideas.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2005, 08:01 PM   #9
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
Beats me, seems to be a trend lately.
All I can say is if people want to try it then its there money to waste.

It isnt hard to work out that with over 3000 members and not a SINGLE good word for some of these things, they simply dont work.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:03 PM   #10
Slick
Starter Motor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
So where is your hangout forum, I would like to check it out. maybe theres some cool setup that has worked for someone without blowing the budget.

Last edited by Slick; 10-04-2005 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:03 PM   #11
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Its because we alwaus "BITE THE BAIT" and post replies to posts that don't deserve to get any attention at all.

Ignore them and let the post die a natural death
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2005, 08:04 PM   #12
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a Hiclone for my AUII XR8. I picked up 50km out of a tank. put no increase in kw. I tried 2 hiclones and it made the econ worse and lost kw.

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2005, 08:06 PM   #13
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
I bought a Hiclone for my AUII XR8. I picked up 50km out of a tank. put no increase in kw. I tried 2 hiclones and it made the econ worse and lost kw.
the V8 has an entirely different manifold setup, swirling air "may" have some benefit. The I6 manifold wont. The shape and design of the I6 manifold would simply negate any "swirl" effect in the intake.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:28 PM   #14
Slick
Starter Motor

Lightbulb

Quote:
So the economy was there but no gain in power. So having two will be more of a restriction I gather.

I carry alot of equipment & material in my ute {500-850kgs} I surpose I'll try one for a month and see if it works. I wonder if they would lend out those things for a month or more to forum members, for testing purposes.
come on Hiclone/tornado agents, ring up H.O. and prove to us it doesn't work.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:33 PM   #15
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is quite possible Casper. but my understanding with the hiclone on fuel injected cars was it allowed the air to travel through the intake pipe and through the throtal body alot easyer there for allowing the cylinders to fill up with a bit more air then normal. Also spiraling air will travel through a bend in a intake pipe alot easyer then straight flowing air...

I have also had a freind put 2 on a diesel patrol and it worked wonders to it. But it is a case of courses for horse. and neither a V8 or a patrol are similar to a ford 4lt 6I but you never know if you dont try and beside's they have a money back garantee if is dont work..

Matt

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 10-04-2005, 08:39 PM   #16
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Well, I'm all for people trying new things...and its not my money.
Personally, I cant see them making one iota of difference, I'll stick to my chip to get the car running better. Costs more but has a proven track record.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:43 PM   #17
LUXO_8
windsor user

it will work untill it gets into the manifold where the manifold itself swirls the air ..... my nc had one, and taking it out revealed no change in fuel use or drop in power
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2005, 08:43 PM   #18
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Well, I'm all for people trying new things...and its not my money.
Personally, I cant see them making one iota of difference, I'll stick to my chip to get the car running better. Costs more but has a proven track record.
And I agree with you. And I wont be buying another Hiclone as the chip or Edit as I am getting is far better choice to spend you money on....

The end
Matt

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 10-04-2005, 09:32 PM   #19
Slick
Starter Motor

Cool

Quote:
And I agree with you. And I wont be buying another Hiclone as the chip or Edit as I am getting is far better choice to spend you money on....

The end
Matt
Could be right, I checked Russellw techical resource section and I've noticed the manifold plemium design on the EEC-V I6. alot of bends.

Last edited by Slick; 10-04-2005 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #20
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick
Could be right, I checked Russellw techical resource section and I've noticed the manifold plemium design on the EEC-V I6. alot of bends.
Correct. Don't forget that the Hiclone is fitted in front of the throttle body as well which means all that supposed beautiful swirling vortex of air is still at the mercy of the angles of your throttle butterfly. And as others have noted, the manifold / runners do the work of moving air as it should be moved anyway.

Again, don't forget that if a device claims to do something useful, and it is NOT seen on any production car in one form or another, (especially ones made by companies that could afford to include this proposed technology), then it is a crock. It is a very useful rule of thumb.

I don't see how people can't grasp this simple concept - do they really think that the big manufacturers, with all their R&D dollars, would have somehow "missed" such a technological marvel? Umm... don't think so. :
Old 11-04-2005, 09:10 PM   #21
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle
Again, don't forget that if a device claims to do something useful, and it is NOT seen on any production car in one form or another, (especially ones made by companies that could afford to include this proposed technology), then it is a crock. It is a very useful rule of thumb.
What about say... the Helix spacer sold through site sponsors Herrods and BPT? From what I've read on hear, they do work. I'm not aware of this Helix spacer being a factory fitted unit on other engines from other vehicle manufacturers, only know of the Modular Ford engines.
The following was taken from the Herrod site.

Extensive in house testing on the BA Quad-Cam V8 engine on our Dyno-Dynamics chassis dyno has demonstrated that the standard throttle-body flows sufficient air out of the box. However, by adding the exclusive Herrod Motorsport design Helix Spacer between the throttle-body and manifold, increases air induction turbulence and air speed into the manifold, resulting in sharper throttle response and increased power.

80mm Helix is available specificly designed to suit aftermarket 80mm throttle bodies.

So is it also a crock?

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2005, 09:29 PM   #22
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGZMK
What about say... the Helix spacer sold through site sponsors Herrods and BPT? From what I've read on hear, they do work. I'm not aware of this Helix spacer being a factory fitted unit on other engines from other vehicle manufacturers, only know of the Modular Ford engines.

Extensive in house testing on the BA Quad-Cam V8 engine on our Dyno-Dynamics chassis dyno has demonstrated that the standard throttle-body flows sufficient air out of the box. However, by adding the exclusive Herrod Motorsport design Helix Spacer between the throttle-body and manifold, increases air induction turbulence and air speed into the manifold, resulting in sharper throttle response and increased power.

80mm Helix is available specificly designed to suit aftermarket 80mm throttle bodies.

So is it also a crock?
Umm, these have been around a while in various forms, factory and aftermarket, and do serve a purpose - they effectively enlarge the plenum volume. This is attributable to their operation as a spacer rather than any magical treatment of airflow. I had a genuine Ford one fitted on my old EL XR8, for example. I can't comment on the effectiveness of this so-called "helix" cut, but the general concept of the spacer has been around for ages and isn't a startling new revelation.

Last edited by MrSparkle; 11-04-2005 at 09:32 PM.
MrSparkle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2005, 10:50 PM   #23
Slick
Starter Motor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGZMK

So is it also a crock?
Its a conflictig issue really, It really does grab my interest. Just done some research & found out that it passed 4 interpendent state emission laws in the states {USA}. Also found out that Mercedes has manufactured a spiral shape spacer, Could be the same as the Helix spacer. plus a track tested vortex generator placed directly in all 8 venturi stack or manifold of a ferrari. Toyota V8 Lexus uses a "Karman vortex air flow meter, almost the same design as the once used in 1987 to 1992 Supra 7M-GTM turbo engines. rallysports cars use them in their exhurst tail pipe.

If you think about it, the throttle disc or batterfly closed all the time unless you floor the pedal. that might be more of a restriction.

I might fill up the tub then pull the plug and see what happens. see how strong the vortex torque effect is and how quickly the water drains throu the "S" bends of the drain pipe.

I still learning.