Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 27-10-2006, 07:56 PM   #1
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

Default Auto Troubles

Hey People!

I seem to be having some auto troubles in my EF. On two occasions now the auto will not change into 3rd or overdrive and im stuck in 2nd with the car revving its little heart out. Then after pulling over i can take off again and the auto will change gears again or it might not.

When 3rd and 4th go missing i can manually shift to 3rd or drive but it does nothing. Its happened twice now, one where i checked the fluid and the level was fine though it was very hot, but car had only been driving for 5 or so mins after being parked and the other time it has occured its been of a cold start up and happened again within minutes of driving. The car has done 302,000km so i feel problems might start happening, but other than this the auto is perfect, never thumps, smooths changes and operates really well for aslong as i have had this car (2 Years)

So im wondering has anyone had this issue before? and any ideas on what to check for or what the problem is.

Cheers Kris/EFWAGN

Psi-Pop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 08:06 PM   #2
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

How often do you service the auto?

If it was me, I'd get a full service done to the transmission, and add a transmission cooler (if it doesn't have one).

You'd be surprised how much changing the fluid and keeping it cool helps.

If it doesn't help, I'd be looking to convert to manual, ~$1200, or forking out ~$400-500 for a second hand auto, or bite the bullet and get your transmission completely reconditioned (~$2000-$3000).

Good luck.
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
Pouki
Crusin

go manual thats what im going to do and i think i will never look back once i have done it mine is fine at the moment but when it starts f%c&ing up i will go manual
Pouki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 09:04 PM   #4
DNKPWR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Suprise that it lasted over 300thou kays.. guees! Sounds like the auto is on its way out... just get a manual..mine is being change over soon. cause my auto thumped into gear just like it was shift kitted...but wasn't!!lol
Old 28-10-2006, 09:43 AM   #5
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Do you have access to another neutral inhibitor switch to test on your car? The other thing it could be is the C3 hub sticking on and burning out.

Have a look at this link and see what codes you get for the trans, the ECU should have registered fault codes for it. http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=52

300,000 out of a BTR is decent, anything over 200k is a bonus.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For that fault, the computer does NOT register a fault code. It is a solenoid fault (on the mechanical side of the solenoid, the computer cant pick it up).

as an explanation.

In first gear, S1 and S2 are both on
In Second, S1 is on, S2 is off.
In third, both are off
in fourth, S1 is off, and S2 is on..

That gives a normal shift pattern of 1-2-3-4 (understandably)

If you jam S1 ON, the shift pattern goes 1-2-2-1, if you jam S2 on, you get the shift pattern 1-1-4-4.

Yes both problems have happened to me, except only when the gearbox is warm.

The solenoids are $90 each brand new from ford, and on a hoist, allow about 2 hours to change them. Alternatively any BTR 4Speed solenoid will fit, and can be had from the wreckers, but its a gamble (I risked it, and lucked out, I currently on have 1st and 4th thanks to a dodgy S2).

you will also notice that if you back off at above 65-70, the engine will spin down to idle (the clutch that gives you engine braking is not active when the trans thinks it is in 4th gear).

if its too confusing, see my earlier post at http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=60546 and look at the table down the bottom.

cya
Ben
BLSTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #7
Chrispy

Irratic broblems are not often as major as people make out. My Auto (ED 6 with 250,000) wanted to change gears (or not change gears) randomly. Sounds similar to the problem that you have.

$30 on a Haynes manual, best money I EVER spent on a car, and checked the selector/inhibitor switch. Switch was good, connection was bad. Problem fixed and i'm not $3000 down.

Moral of story is to buy a manual and look at the little things.

Good luck with it.

Chrispy
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2006, 12:54 PM   #8
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

Thanks guys!!

Ill borrow my mates hanes manual and have a look it does seem to sound like its the solonoid, cos the spinning down to idle is exactly what happens.

Thanks again people for your help, hopefully ill sort it out soon rather than later.
Psi-Pop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post