Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: You have 80k to spend on an XY GT, What do you do
Buy a high - top end faker XY GT for upto 80k and live with it being a faker. 33 35.87%
Buy a Real Aus XY GT that needs a full resto or has chassis or I.D. issues 31 33.70%
Buy a high end Fairmont XY GT for 70k and spend the diffrence making it look like an Aussie GT 28 30.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #31
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

option 1 high end faker, stout driveline and better bits that were around way back when would get my vote.

option 2 would be second if I had the time to not just cheque book build it.

option 3 seems like the oddball. Spend 80k and you still have a bitsa, bitsa SA, bitsa
Oz, I'd spend the 70 and leave it factory SA

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #32
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IF i had money like that i would choose the rhino, simply because its still a genuine collectable, documented thing - i would also keep it to SA spec with a killer engine just because its a little different from almost every other xy out there

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #33
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

The main reason I mentioned making the Fairmont GT look like an Aussie one is a lot of people out there either dont know what it is, or dont like the diffrent trim setup and look.

So the preferable option of leaving it as it came is cool too as long as you like it that way.
Personally I prefer the Aus spec trim and look, but thats me. I have the RSA spec trim in mine still and have spent $30 on a pair of super roos and a boot badge.
While the interiour trim dosent grab or inspire me, it also dosent bother me. I dont particularly like the trim or hate it.
Also, I can return it to 100% Fairmont GT look in the space of 30 mins as I have all the bits I changed out sitting here.

The Fairmont GT is still an absolute bargain buy at their selling prices compared to the Aussie one.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #34
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Thanks Donny, for opening my eyes to the SA GT.

What you have there is something I would now say would be much more desirable than a faker. It is a car that people here would instant recognise as a real GT, but is still original by the fact you can still easily change it back to SA configuration if you wanted to (not that you or any future owners-if you are mad to sell- would).

But I'm still trying to get my head around the practicality of the SA vs. a faker in terms of driving it on the road, coming up to roadworks and gravel sections or leaving it parked somewhere. Certainly with a genuine GT in concourse condition you would turn around when approaching a gravel section and not leave it anywhere (I would be scared to drive it or take it anywhere), the SA GT I would suspect not so much so, which is probably where the faker is then more practical - but is not recognised as a GT by the enthusiasts. But then you really wouldn't leave a faker anywhere unattended either.

After following this thread, personally if I was looking for a GT at around $80,000, probably now I would go for the third option, a real GT (by the fact the Aussie mods can be easily reversed) that looks and runs well, and is within my price range.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 12:38 AM   #35
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Thanks Donny, for opening my eyes to the SA GT..
Your totally welcome.

This was a major part of the reason why I started this thread.

Also, I wanted to guage peoples thoughts and choices of what they would do if they were in this situation.
Would people be open to the idea of somthing a touch diffrent but a genuine thing for less money?
Or would they still go for the home grown version even if it was a clapped out clunker or had number/ID or body originality issues?
Or would thay choose the faker.

The Fairmont GT has had a rough time getting accepted. Theres been a lot of opposition because there was little factual info known about them.
Now that has been sorted and the info is out there. So is the acceptance, which is slowly coming along.
It didn't help that a lot of peoples first impressions of these were seeing quite a few clapped out junkers needing bulk dollars spent to make them good again, now theres been several high profile restos, and theres also been quite a few nice cars like mine imported that are in awesome condition for their age.
Also, on the downside initially a lot of stalwart Aussie GT owners out there were not happy these cars existed at all for numerous other reasons we need not mention.
Some have come aboard with the concept, plenty say they have, but when talking dollars, its quite obvious they haven't really.

I drive mine as often as I can, which is usually every weekend. Its insured appropriatly and covered for that correctly.
I have never shied away from driving my car in the rain, twice now I have been driving home from a reasonable length cruise only to get caught in torrential rain (thats a QLD weather thing, happens a lot here).
And it dosent even leak!!!!!!! If a dirt road came up, I would never turn back.
I used to let my last girl friend drive the car as much as she was upto it.
She had owned a few muscle cars and used to drag race them at Willowbank, so at least appreciated what they are about etc.
We would go out to Willowbank in it, went cruising often, drove it virtually anywhere in whatever weather.

To me its still a car, and if I had to treat it with kid gloves everywhere, I wouldnt bother to own it. It just wouldnt be worth the worry.
This is exactly how I would have run and driven my XA GT coupe which had a huge dollar resto done on it before I sold it.
The car is there to be enjoyed and driven, and if you cant do that, whats the point. Thats how I look at it.

If you were buying a Fairmont GT or a Faker and spending 60k to 80k on which ever car, you would still be as paranoid of things. Its how much money you have put into the car that makes you worry like that.
The average theif wont know from looking at a good replica or Fairmont GT (Australianised) as to whether its the real deal or not, as long as it looks right, it would still be a damm good target.

Another thing too, of the 1500 XY Fairmont GT's made there is only around 300 known cars left to date.
There is a good register on them which has around 200 odd cars so far from both here and South Africa (TOTAL).
A lot of the rest have died pretty un dignified deaths.

So not only are they a real bargain, they are rare as, probly only around 100 to 150 really decent examples around world wide, if that.
They are a little diffrent and quirky which is supposedly somthing some hardened GT entheusiasts desire, plus they had quite a few unique colour combos to choose from.

My car (pictured above) is currently up for grabs, but it wont be advertised anywhere, and the only reason I am doing this is I am an XA person, and I have a line on another XA with a hole in the roof that I would really like to own.

If I was an XY person, I would never part with this car, its just too good.
So if anyone out there is savvy enough to spot a top bargain, send me a PM.

Cheers.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #36
myxr6
Banned

Here is a cheap S.A. XYGT.
http://www.fordmusclecars.com.au/vie...sp?itemID=3732
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #37
Donny

Yes, that is a good buy as an entry level/driver car.

There are several around that price range for sale currently.

This one is in the wrong colour, and will need restoring some time in the very near future depending on how you like your GT's to be, but is a great base to start.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #38
mickvxbs
bogan

good god that interior :
mickvxbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #39
XC-351

what about option: continue saving...

if you want a genuine gt IMO it means JG33

if thats what you really want save untill you get one...

if you dont care if its genuine build or buy a neat one done, or add the things you want
Old 12-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #40
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XR6
if you want a genuine gt IMO it means JG33
Thats the kind of narrow minded thinking of the un-informed.

Do some research, a MS33 South African GT is the real deal as accepted by all the GT clubs, Ford Australia and Ford South Africa.

And if you wanna be technical a South African GT has the exact same 54H GT body shell. They were both born in the same plant in Australia. But 1 was assembled in Broadmeadows (JG) and the other sent to South Africa (MS) in a box and assembled there.

Now, also....

My car is now officially listed for sale....

See here....

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...23#post2752223

Old 13-07-2009, 12:16 AM   #41
XC-351

i am informed mate, i do know the above information...

but you must admit there are differences isnt this why were not seeing the same prices

maybe i just said it wrong if you want a genuine australian gt save till you can buy one

im just giving my opinion, you put up 3 options up i just thought there was one to add save till you can afford one... hypotheticaly that is
Old 13-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #42
Hardtop
XBGT Hardtop

A GT is a GT, a fake GT will always be fake, a SA GT is the best bet, certainly if you cant afford another 80k fixing a basket case, it depends if you want something to drive NOW, or dont mind 10 years to fix up your basket case GT.

i'd buy the SA GT, or buy a basket case GT and fix it up over a period, fake will always be fake not matter how many GT parts are fitted
Hardtop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 12:29 AM   #43
XC-351

Fake will always be a replica
Fairmont GT will always be a SA GT
Falcon GT will always be Australian GT

i have nothing agaisnt SA GT and i would consider one over a Replica depending on (factory options of the faker)
Old 13-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #44
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XR6
i am informed mate, i do know the above information...

but you must admit there are differences isnt this why were not seeing the same prices

maybe i just said it wrong if you want a genuine australian gt save till you can buy one

im just giving my opinion, you put up 3 options up i just thought there was one to add save till you can afford one... hypotheticaly that is
No worries, one of the big reasons why they dont pull the same money is the sentiment and perception of these cars that people see them the way your last post started, as mostly not even the same cars, or real GT's even.
So the solution is buy a replica or wait n save for the Aus version.

My poll for the Aus one was to buy a car for the same coin as the Rhino. Which in an Aussie example at that money means a car waiting for total resto, or a car with body and ID issues etc. The hypothetical choice didnt cater for the option of saving for a good one.

The diffrences are cosmetics, unless you wanna talk about the extra welds to make them more rigid, and the red oxide coating they got before shipment that has saved quite a few of the better ones from the crusher.

Also there has been a lot of resistance to them from within the GT movement itself.
And while they are generally accepted as the real deal now down to people getting the correct factual information about these cars out there, there are still some out there who refuse to accept them for what ever personal reasons they may have.
A lot of XY GT owners probly felt their huge profitable investments were threatened by these cheaper examples of their same car.

For some theres lots of reasons why they arent or wont be liked, which does translate to their desierability and supply and demand. Huge demand=Higher prices. This will happen, but it is taking longer because they do look a little diffrent to most. But its so cheap and easy to fix that too.

I aslo think most people got introduced to the Fairmont GT by a lot of earlier examples that were to put it kindly basket cases.
I.E. Poor First Impression of the cars.

Perhaps most significantly,
A total of 1500 units were made and sent over to South Africa, the register that is currently being compiled now has around 300 entries on it from all over the world.
There arent a lot of these cars left, which makes the good ones extremely rare now. 300 odd cars left=the same amount of GTHO Phase 3's built new.

So, rare, unique and cheap. What more could you ask for.

Old 13-07-2009, 09:21 AM   #45
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
No worries, one of the big reasons why they dont pull the same money is the sentiment and perception of these cars that people see them the way your last post started, as mostly not even the same cars, or real GT's even.
So the solution is buy a replica or wait n save for the Aus version.

My poll for the Aus one was to buy a car for the same coin as the Rhino. Which in an Aussie example at that money means a car waiting for total resto, or a car with body and ID issues etc. The hypothetical choice didnt cater for the option of saving for a good one.

The diffrences are cosmetics, unless you wanna talk about the extra welds to make them more rigid, and the red oxide coating they got before shipment that has saved quite a few of the better ones from the crusher.

Also there has been a lot of resistance to them from within the GT movement itself.
And while they are generally accepted as the real deal now down to people getting the correct factual information about these cars out there, there are still some out there who refuse to accept them for what ever personal reasons they may have.
A lot of XY GT owners probly felt their huge profitable investments were threatened by these cheaper examples of their same car.

For some theres lots of reasons why they arent or wont be liked, which does translate to their desierability and supply and demand. Huge demand=Higher prices. This will happen, but it is taking longer because they do look a little diffrent to most. But its so cheap and easy to fix that too.

I aslo think most people got introduced to the Fairmont GT by a lot of earlier examples that were to put it kindly basket cases.
I.E. Poor First Impression of the cars.

Perhaps most significantly,
A total of 1500 units were made and sent over to South Africa, the register that is currently being compiled now has around 300 entries on it from all over the world.
There arent a lot of these cars left, which makes the good ones extremely rare now. 300 odd cars left=the same amount of GTHO Phase 3's built new.

So, rare, unique and cheap. What more could you ask for.
Spot on mate, couldn't have said it better myself.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #46
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Talking

I am still having a chuckle every time I read the Title of this Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #47
Donny

Yes, XY GT and Budget are 2 words that dont go well together.
Cheap is another word that just cant be related to XY GT's either.

Old 13-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #48
fos408

Sorry for an ordinary sucker like me 75,000 aint cheap either,guess that why i will never have one
fos408 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #49
Donny

It aint cheap for any of us mate. Beleive me. Supply vs demand has dictated the prices to date.
Times might be tuff but some cars are still selling, and theres plenty of interest out there still.

The last GT I bought before the XY, I paid 5.5k for. XA GT Coupe.
The last GT before that was 4k 1973 XB GT Sedan fully optioned.

Old 13-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #50
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Donny

Please refrain from posting up prices like this again can you mate

Sigh..........
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #51
zx10

Quote:
It aint cheap for any of us mate. Beleive me. Supply vs demand has dictated the prices to date.
Times might be tuff but some cars are still selling, and theres plenty of interest out there still.

That was probably only 10-15 years ago too.

AU3 XR8 sedan - Manual, Leather, Momo wheel/gear knob
zx10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #52
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I voted none, with an upper limit of $80K, I'd buy a decent XY or XY GT Replica for the around $40K mark and spend $40K get it to my specs.

True Blue or Electric Blue or Surfer Orange, 393C, 4 speed, Sunroof.

If you're worried about value anything XY has been dragged along with the muscle car craze.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #53
Donny

The XB was in 1988 and the XA was in early 2004. Just before prices started going stupid.

Old 13-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #54
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
You can also make a clevo go well, even while maintaining its standard looking GT guise.

So some basic mods to a GT would never sway me down the replica route. Not that I have anything against replicas, I just prefer the real thing. Nothing to do with **** factor or exclusivity or anything

I agree.....SA GT's are the real deal but then again I like to stir the pot (if I can get the spoon of Dave!) Being a Landau owner "the REAL GT" :thebirds: I appreciate something a little different.

I do not like fakers- just my personal choice and please dont be offended if you do like them- just not for me!

I don't want to chop up my Landau, it is rare and regardless of the fact that it is less sought after than other models, I do love the idea of having a completely stock looking but stoutly rebuilt motor for her.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #55
Donny

Nothing wrong with those fat heavy old Landfill Barges... :
Each to their own hey. Even if they do look like an abomination.... : : :

The South African GT trim aint that nice either looks wise in my opinion. : :

Fakers dont bother me at all, I would not own one as they arent my scene, but again each to their own. Theres plenty of positives looking at the fker range.

P.S. Just stirrin Jamie...

Old 14-07-2009, 02:23 AM   #56
cm335

easy fix for eighty k just buy an xdub gt
cm335 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #57
Donny

Cept XW GT's arent on this hypothetical menu.
Even tho I prefer them.
And theres not many of those around in the condition/combo/colours I would expect for 80k either.

Old 15-07-2009, 03:05 AM   #58
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I wouldn't want a faker if I did have an xy, I would do it up to look clean but wouldn't try and make it into something it wasn't. SA Fairmont GT aren't my cup of tea either as it's an import so might aswell have a yank tank. I'd wouldn't even buy a real one unless I had the money to buy a good one. But even then it would be down the list as I'd rather by an XAGT coupe and a cobra to sit beside my XBGT so I'd have the set. So I guess I can't choose any of the options.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 12:12 PM   #59
Donny

The SA GT was built HERE as well XBROO, built on the same production line and of the same parts as the Aus GT.

The diffrence.... Is the Aus ones were then assembled here at Broadmeadows and the South African units were sent overseas in boxes to Port Elizabeth, South Africa to be assembled there.

So, they were put together overseas and sold over there, but were born here, so arent really an import type car as in Jap imports which were born and built overseas and not sold new locally here.

Old 15-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #60
JD86
DELANY

i would definately buy a real GT that needed work and put money into it

nothing id like more than owning a real piece of australian muscle car history