Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-08-2020, 04:03 PM   #11
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
That's an interesting 'You kids have it easy! Back in my day' flex from someone who didn't live through those times

Here's a perspective from 89 year old Nonna, she lived through Italy during their rise of fascism, the heyday of Nazi Germany, German occupation of Italy and the resulting invasion and fighting from both the UK/Americans when they came through as a young girl to early teens by the end of hostilities, the oldest of all her siblings which she was responsible for feeding and keeping herself and her younger brothers alive.

While the British were hiding in their bomb shelter Nonna was scouring the battlefield for dead horses to cut up or killing and eating people's pets that escaped to feed her family, or stealing what she could from farms and begging for food from British and American soldiers while caught up between four countries fighting a war in her backyard.

Yet she's absolutely against all the lockdown restrictions and is concerned about it's effects on our youth from the perspective of employment and inability to go out and enjoy themselves - she accepts her own mortality, that she's at the end of her life and it's not fair that she's being used an as excuse by a government for draconian measures, no one asked her about her thoughts.

So yes while I'm sure the people who lived through WWII faced tougher challenges, I'm interested in their perspectives on having their freedoms curtailed by their own government and what they think having lived through a war fought against authoritarian governments that killed an estimated 50M-70M people.

Does anyone else here have relatives who lived through that WWII period and are still alive to tell their stories?
Well Franco, my parents were kids during those times in Northern Italy just as you point out regards your Nonna.
Mum is 91 Dad 88.
IF I recall your Nonna and family live out of Melb suburbia.
Whole different lifestyle for starters BUT my point is my parents are polar opposite to your Nonna's POV.
By the way your expressing your POV through your Nonna, how do you know the type of background Russellw has ? yet you play the back in my day flex.
The youth back in those days came through its tuff times and the youth will here as well.
As for the variances of our States more so yours in Lockdown, thats nothing compared to wondering when a bomb hits your place or next door or a whole block etcetc....
What a stupid summary, sorry thats the way I read it.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
3 users like this post: