Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Road rule loop-holes

I'm aware this thread may be removed as I've discussed police/insurance in here but I'l give it a go because I'm really saddened by something that happened on the weekend that has given me the feeling the law can't be trusted to protect the innocent. It seems that every road incident is a 50/50 gamble on whether or not the police work will be done right.

Saturday night (nov. 13) my sister was coming out of a T-intersection thru a green light in a string of other cars. A girl came flying thru the red, hitting my sister's car in the drivers door, destroying both cars and giving both drivers severe bruising. Of all the people who were standing around after seeing the incident, the police didn't approach one, therefore, no witness statement, therefore "the colour of the lights at the time is unknown so they are not a factor in this case..". So now the default yield rule applies under which my sister needed to give way to her right and as she did not, due to the green light, she's at fault. The other uninsured motorist gets paid out, and my sister with only her third party bomb insurance gets nothing but an excess bill.

So not only has the random drunken fist of justice punched her in the face, her insurance have left her for dead too.

I'm fuming over this, and so are all family and friends. I thought I'd put it out here for other frequent road users to read and input any experiences they may have had where laziness, incompetence, and lack of commonsense have led to a crash victim paying the price.

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post