Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-04-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
AU:PROJECT:UTE
Drought Breaker

Thumbs up Iridium Plugs

I have just sourced Denso VW16RA13 iridium plugs for a cost of $4.92 ex GST, ie 6 plugs for $32.45 :jab:
Now I thought everyone might be interested to know where I got them, the dealership I work in houses Ford and Toyota. Ford sells me these plugs for the $11.50 excluding, Toyota however goes along way under this! Exactly the same plugs; both Denso; 0.4mm iridium tip, exactly the same product available from your Ford dealer.
So anyone looking for a new set of iridium plugs try a Toyota parts for a comparitive price!
Also to any member interested I'd be more than happy to offer any forum members these plugs at my cost plus postage. If anyone is interested PM me with your details.

Regards,
Tim

ALL COUNTRY: SW Platt Mccann 5 Poster, GME 4706 7' Whippys, Uniden UH015SX UHF AND Scanner combo, Narva Taurus Bull lights, Hawk Grille, Series II Pursuit Side Skirts, Stickers on the back window and more eartags than a mob of cranky angus

ALL GO: XR6 VCT donk and ECU NO MORE!!
Now even MORE fun with 200kw XR8 and 5 speed, Tickford Cluster, 3.45 LSD, full custom twin system w/- 3" chrome angle cut tips :
AU:PROJECT:UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU:PROJECT:UTE
I have just sourced Denso VW16RA13 iridium plugs for a cost of $4.92 ex GST, ie 6 plugs for $32.45 :jab:
Think that's bad, try buying NGK Iridium plugs at around $18/each. out:

IIRC, it cost me around $120 for a set of 6... but that was ages ago.
Old 27-04-2006, 07:53 PM   #3
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
Think that's bad, try buying NGK Iridium plugs at around $18/each. out:

IIRC, it cost me around $120 for a set of 6... but that was ages ago.
Crap ! I got a set from Bursons for $12each, maybe the extra two plugs made the deal ??? :nutsycuck
Old 27-04-2006, 05:02 PM   #4
Drought Breaker

They are the plugs that Ford specify for my ute.
I guess it probably sounds to good to be true to the people who have ever replaced these expensive plugs.
All I can say is give your nearest Toyota dealer a try because they can buy these plugs and they are cheaper than Ford by a long shot for the exact same plugs.
ALL COUNTRY: SW Platt Mccann 5 Poster, GME 4706 7' Whippys, Uniden UH015SX UHF AND Scanner combo, Narva Taurus Bull lights, Hawk Grille, Series II Pursuit Side Skirts, Stickers on the back window and more eartags than a mob of cranky angus

Now even MORE fun with 200kw XR8 and 5 speed, Tickford Cluster, 3.45 LSD, full custom twin system w/- 3" chrome angle cut tips :
Old 27-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #5
Hibbz
The Mod Bug Has Hit

I have a au3 i6 and got a price the other day for ngk's 25 a hit thats 150 bucks!!!!!

i was scared!! lol

are these the same plugs i need or are they diffrent and if so can u get them at a reduced price anything better than 25 lol

thxs jake
Hibbz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 12:02 PM   #6
Drought Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD_AU_MAN
I have a au3 i6 and got a price the other day for ngk's 25 a hit thats 150 bucks!!!!!

i was scared!! lol

are these the same plugs i need or are they diffrent and if so can u get them at a reduced price anything better than 25 lol

thxs jake
Jake these are the plugs that Ford use from the factory.
Like I said if you go to a Toyota dealer they will be able to order these plugs in for you. Just ask them to order you in VW16RA-13 is the Toyota part number and you will get the same plugs alot better than $25 each
Hope that helps you,
Tim

Old 14-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
They are the plugs that Ford specify for my ute.
I guess it probably sounds to good to be true to the people who have ever replaced these expensive plugs.
All I can say is give your nearest Toyota dealer a try because they can buy these plugs and they are cheaper than Ford by a long shot for the exact same plugs.
How can they specify them for your ute when i got my car serviced last week (AUII XR6 HP) he asked if it has iridium plugs i said im not sure. He said if there is an I in your engine number then your car was made with them really the only difference is that you dont have to replace your plugs as often
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 10:38 AM   #8
Drought Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00VenomXR
How can they specify them for your ute when i got my car serviced last week (AUII XR6 HP) he asked if it has iridium plugs i said im not sure. He said if there is an I in your engine number then your car was made with them really the only difference is that you dont have to replace your plugs as often
The part number is on the emmision control label on the front underside lip of the bonnet, states that VW16R-A13 is the spark plug for me.
Maybe a few members with different I6 engines could check what is stated for their vehicle?

The sole idea behind iridium plugs is to provide longer useable life (150,000km versus 20,000km).

Old 15-06-2006, 12:35 PM   #9
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about the 5.6L in the T3's & pursuit 250's??
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 07:41 PM   #10
5 FTR 5
Made the 300 :0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit
What about the 5.6L in the T3's & pursuit 250's??
TR55IX Around $14 to $16 Irridiums
Old 27-04-2006, 05:38 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Thanks for that man ... will keep this in mind.
I know the NGK Iridiums are expensive as all hell.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 07:07 PM   #12
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Quote:
know the NGK Iridiums are expensive as all hell.
I saw a documentry on the history channel about Iridium. It is from meteorits from outer space so maybe that why the metal is expensive. So why the big price difference between Denso & NGK Iridum plugs.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 10:50 PM   #13
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
I saw a documentry on the history channel about Iridium. It is from meteorits from outer space so maybe that why the metal is expensive. So why the big price difference between Denso & NGK Iridum plugs.
Maybe they fell out of the sky and onto the ford factory so theyre selling them to make up for damage? :alien2:
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #14
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Now I thought everyone might be interested to know where I got them, the dealership I work in houses Ford and Toyota. Ford sells me these plugs for the $11.50 excluding, Toyota however goes along way under this! Exactly the same plugs; both Denso; 0.4mm iridium tip, exactly the same product available from your Ford dealer.
So anyone looking for a new set of iridium plugs try a Toyota parts for a comparitive price!
Also to any member interested I'd be more than happy to offer any forum members these plugs at my cost plus postage. If anyone is interested PM me with your details.

Regards,
Tim
Thanks for the heads up Tim.

BTW what part number are they? What ute do you have?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 08:23 PM   #15
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Just bought some NGK iridiums at Bursons the other day, it cost me around $100 for 6, not happy jan.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods

Last edited by Fairlane; 27-04-2006 at 08:25 PM. Reason: I checked the receipt
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 10:21 PM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just bought some ngk iridiums myself yesterday $73.00, not 120 or 150 buks at least,$32 is a nice price well done
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #17
Drought Breaker

Arrow

GK the part number for the plugs is VW16RA13.
My ute is a 2002 AUIII XL I6.
Regards

Tim

Old 28-04-2006, 10:13 PM   #18
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
GK the part number for the plugs is VW16RA13.
My ute is a 2002 AUIII XL I6.
Regards

Tim
Thanks Tim,

Will get a set for the S2 SR, just need to ring Toyota and check. Book says the gap should be 1.25-1.35mm?

BTW, I couldn't find a part number for these in the S1 manual. My S1 Wagon is on gas.

Would these plugs be ok for this setup? What gap for the S1 wagon do you think? Go the book recommended gap? Don't want to stuff anything up! Don't want the wrong gap and have to buy more plugs! LOL!

Incidently, I put the standard NGK gas spec plugs in, the car ran like a dog, put the standard petrol ones in, ran fine. Go figure!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 28-04-2006, 05:26 PM   #19
janek
Ripping it up

umm... will these be the same as the plugs i need for the vct?

the ngk standards are like 10 or 12 each!
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 08:00 PM   #20
Davo3460

yea mate put me down 4 a set at that price
Davo3460 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 08:09 PM   #21
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for an AU ute you shouldn't be running .4mm gap like stated in the very first post. somthing more like a .8mm gap

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 08:31 PM   #22
Group C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon_AU
for an AU ute you shouldn't be running .4mm gap like stated in the very first post. somthing more like a .8mm gap
the 0.4 is the size of the iridium TIP, not the gap.
i think come with a 0.8 gap as standard, but you can get wider gapped ones if wanted.
*should add that you CAN'T re-gap an iridium plug, because the iridium tip is fragile, and checking the gap (with feeler gauges, as the norm.) will BREAK the tip, making the plug useless*

i use the NGK ones in my race car. very happy with them.
ohh, and mine have a 1.1mm gap.
Group C is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 08:38 PM   #23
janek
Ripping it up

yeah, and the vct uses 1.3mm gap
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 10:57 AM   #24
Drought Breaker

These plugs are pre gapped to 1.3 mm. Not too sure about S1, but S2 & S3 got the Iridium plugs. Pop your bonnet and have a look at the belt routing decal near the forward edge, should give you a number on there for what plug you should be running. Once again thats on a SIII ute but I'm pretty sure they all got that little decal to show how to run the belt.

Ok just had a quick look at the Denso catalogue, S1 Petrol W16EXRU11 (1.1mm gap) S1 LPG W16EXRU (0.8mm gap) Everything after 4/2000 Petrol and LPG takes the previously mentioned iridium plug.

Not sure why the wagon ran like crap with NGK gas spec plugs but according to Denso the only difference 0.3mm??

Regards

Tim

Old 01-05-2006, 12:21 PM   #25
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
These plugs are pre gapped to 1.3 mm. Not too sure about S1, but S2 & S3 got the Iridium plugs. Pop your bonnet and have a look at the belt routing decal near the forward edge, should give you a number on there for what plug you should be running. Once again thats on a SIII ute but I'm pretty sure they all got that little decal to show how to run the belt.

Ok just had a quick look at the Denso catalogue, S1 Petrol W16EXRU11 (1.1mm gap) S1 LPG W16EXRU (0.8mm gap) Everything after 4/2000 Petrol and LPG takes the previously mentioned iridium plug.

Not sure why the wagon ran like crap with NGK gas spec plugs but according to Denso the only difference 0.3mm??

Regards

Tim
Thanks for the info Tim, I appreciate you checking up for me! I'll store that info now!

*GK adds info to his ever growing title of Word Documents on various AU topics!*

Tim, could you also check the price for the S1 gas plugs at your workplace please? I'll run that against Toyota here and see what happens!

Many thanks,

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 15-06-2006, 10:14 PM   #26
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
*GK adds info to his ever growing title of Word Documents on various AU topics!*GK
You are not the only one George.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 12:28 PM   #27
Drought Breaker

Your file sounds like it could be very handy GK!
Can I get a subscription? :nutsycuck
Maybe you could bring out a bi annual ammended release :

Old 01-05-2006, 12:31 PM   #28
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Your file sounds like it could be very handy GK!
Can I get a subscription? :nutsycuck
Maybe you could bring out a bi annual ammended release :
PM me with your email address, I'll send you the lot if you like!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 01-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #29
Drought Breaker

PM sent GK

Old 01-05-2006, 01:07 PM   #30
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
PM sent GK
File sent Tim!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG