Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mazda ... Another BIG FAIL

Some of you may recall posts by me hailing Mazda as offering the epitome of service amongst Australian car companies.

Well, I have to eat humble pie. My wife had an SP23 and over a five year ownership period have no problems in 95,000 kms and exemplary service. So just on 12 months ago we traded it on an SP25 and although we’re not great fans of the “over the top” frontal treatment, nor the acres of grey plastic in the (black only) interior we thought that a small price to pay for what should be an excellent overall package.

I keep the exterior in shape with Maguire’s products and Mother’s on the leather. However in recent months I noticed the front bar changing to a darker shade than the rest of the car. I went to the Mazda Australia website and registered my concern via their “contact” e-mail facility.

I computer generated reply more or less told me to go jump in the lake. On 8th of November I sent another e-mail to the service manager with the photographs below and a message saying I wanted it fixed. To date I have not received a reply.

In the meantime I took the car to the local dealer at Southport and was told “they’re all like that” and there’s nothing that can be done. In other words “F” off.

I know there is colour variation between plastic bumpers and the metal parts of the body and have experienced it in my F6’s, but nothing like this.

I certainly won’t be recommending Mazda to anyone again.

For the same light condtions, these photos were taken within a 20 minute period.

The rear has "normal" colour difference

Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Silver on fords is the same. The plastics give a different tone to the color than the rest of the car.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

I look at the first two pics, and I'm lost for words!
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldnt give up on the brand that has served you well because of the paint problem on the bars, why dont you get a quote to have them re-painted yourself?
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

That is a considerable colour difference and something that should be fixed, it is not reasonable.

Having said that I have seen similar on Ford/FPV, especially on that metallic tangerine colour in the BF range.

Also, how long did it take Ford to admit there was an issue with shockwave cars with paint falling off (literally in sheets)?

Or how many have continually complained about driveline backlash on manual fords and FPV's only to be told that clunk is normal?

You get the idea.

All manufacturers will try hard to say it is normal rather than admit it is a fault and open the floodgates to all the warranty claims. Do as we do with Ford, push the point and hassle them, they will fix it. If my experience is anything to go by, Mazda will claim it occurs because the plastic body parts are painted on a different line than the metal body panels. That is no excuse but it is the same one Ford/FPV use.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not saying this is the case but did you walk into the dealer with your "back up" because of frustration with your first two points of contact via email?

An issue like this is best raised in person first in a calm manner rather than in an email hoping to have things resolved. Written complaints would come across much harsher and shluld be used as a last resort.

Good luck.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
JimNiki
71Mach1

You'd think that with today's technology, they can compensate for this and get a decent end result which matches!

They spend squllions in R&D on a new model and can't get panel colours to match!
I know it all comes down to cost as I'm pretty confident that you won't see this type of variation in expensive German cars...

I wonder if the new Chinese cars have this issue since they're trying to impress in a new market?
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Wow ... that looks like it's had a dodgy colour match from a re-spray. But obviously not though.

Maybe try another dealership and see what they say.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Wow ... that looks like it's had a dodgy colour match from a re-spray. But obviously not though.
Perhaps it is. The fit of the front bumper onto the guard doesnt look too flash either, unless its the photo and reflections.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #10
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k

We're thinking along the same lines Mechan1k. Although we bought it "brand new", I think the car's had a hit and the front bar has been resprayed. I'll seek some expert opinion.

Her previous SP23 was all nicely colour matching but took a hit on the front and the bar was replaced and resprayed 12 months before we traded it in. It colour matched at first but then went darker over the 12 months period before trade in.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
We're thinking along the same lines Mechan1k. Although we bought it "brand new", I think the car's had a hit and the front bar has been resprayed. I'll seek some expert opinion.

Her previous SP23 was all nicely colour matching but took a hit on the front and the bar was replaced and resprayed 12 months before we traded it in. It colour matched at first but then went darker over the 12 months period before trade in.

To find out get the paint thickness measured, if it a lot thicker than the rear bumper it has probably been re sprayed. Don't compare with metal surfaces as they are often painted on a different line and therefore a different thickness.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #12
fmc351
let it burn

And the rear bar is made of different plastic to the front? If the front bar is normal why isnt the rear like it?

Maybe youre Mrs is driving it too fast for the paint.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Not good at all mate.

It looks like a moustache!
gcg2503 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #14
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You would be amazed how many new cars get damaged in transport, my bet that the dealer repaired it before being sold. Dealer fail, as opposed to Mazda IMO.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 11:22 PM   #15
NEEDspeed

Gunmetal blue yes? The other colours like Aluminium, Celestial blue and Graphite seem to look odd as well on some cars, and thats straight off the boat.

Blueprint 2003 XR6. Forged internals 10.8cr engine.
NEEDspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #16
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
You would be amazed how many new cars get damaged in transport, my bet that the dealer repaired it before being sold. Dealer fail, as opposed to Mazda IMO.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. See if you can find a dealer with the same colour in stock and take a look to see if that car is as bad. I suspect your dealer did a dodgy colour match on transport repairs.

The other possibility is Mazda are having trouble with that colour. They did in the past with reds. See if the other colours have as much paint variation on the bumpers.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 11:21 PM   #17
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only way you will get a response is to go to the dealership and make a song and dance, bigtime, hell get the wife in there too, or else theyll just continue to dismiss you. IMO.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 12:12 AM   #18
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Seen that on quite a few other brands. It depends on the angle and lighting.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:58 AM   #19
The Snout

Quite like the 2 tone look.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #20
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As others have said, it happens on other brands aswell. I would say that that the dealer needs a lesson in customer service and should be willing to assist you by seeking answers further up the chain. Fair enough that warranty approvals have to go through head office, but they should at least be willing to look into it for you.
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #21
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

If it wasn't there 12 month's ago when you picked it up, but obviously it is there now as we can all see it, one would ask, why would the paint all the sudden change, I can see a problem if it was like that on delivery, but does paint change like that in 12 month's, I'm not being smart to you mate, just wondering, as I know there is a difference in some vehicles with this same problem but they are straight off the floor or such, I have never heard of it changing like this in 12 month's.
But never the less, still not good enough for a 12 month old vehicle and something should and hopefully will be resolved for you.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #22
zoomie
Owner of "0066" F6 310

My wife has a new graphite coloured SP25 sedan and the bumper bars are near to spot on to the rest of the car....
Much much much better than the miss match of colours on the bumpers and other plastics on my old Ego G6ET (the bumpers on that car where much darker and had a green tinge to them compared to the car which had a red tinge to it) but that was the least of the problems with that car unfortunately.

Last edited by zoomie; 03-12-2010 at 09:29 AM.
zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #23
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

If your going to get it re-sprayed or even get someone to have a look at it, get in contact with Karnage (on this site), and get his thought's, he is up your way.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #24
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a SP20 a few years back, had a similar issue.

It didn't bother me enough to try to get Mazda to fix it but after being rear ended and having the rear bar fixed & re sprayed it matched much better than the front.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #25
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Have you guys seen Mandarin? The front bar is horrible.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #26
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

the squeaky wheel gets the grease make enough noise and you should get it fixed by them even threaten to go to consumer affairs tv etc

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #27
Chopped
as in chopped

That's normal.

" Why do plastic bumper covers change color? Every once in a while we get a phone call from body shop client that is trying to deliver a car and their customer will not take it because the bumper looks different than the car. The most amazing thing is that the bumper and the front end of the car was painted at the same time, with the same gun, same air pressure, same temperature and the same paint.

How do you explain the bumper color change to the customer? Plastic bumpers will always change color especially in metallic colors. The plastic has a static charge and the metallic paint will settle different than on the sheet metal parts, causing pigment floatation that will shift the color darker or lighter. The other reason is surface temperature, if the sheet metal is colder, the bumper will look lighter, if the sheet metal is hotter than the bumper, the color on the bumper will look darker. The third reason is flex additive. If the clearcoat is applied on the bumper with a flex additive, it will shift the color slightly.

How do you prove your point after explaining this to the customer? Your customer will probably think your trying to fool them with this explanation, Luckily, the majority of our body shop clients in our area are dealerships. So they walk the client to the show room floor and point out that just about every car on the lot with a metallic color has a shade different on the bumper covers, front and rear, plastic door handles and plastic mirrors, all have different shades. Most clients are more at ease when they realize that they bought the car this way but had never noticed. "
source >http://www.autobodysupply.net/Articles.asp?ID=140

I've even seen Audis with the same problem.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #28
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Why haven't you been using tyre black?

Seriously though, take the car to a panel beater/spray painter and get their opinion.
Then, if there is indeed a disparity you can take it back to Mazda and tell them to rectify it.

Quote: