Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mazda Warranty extorsion..

Ok, Next time you feel hardly done by when dealing with Ford over warranty issues consider what the competition are doing…

My wife has a new 2010 Mazda CX7 which we picked up in Feb, since Feb it’s been back to the dealer for its 1000k checkup/oil change but to date the car has traveled a mere total of 3500 k’s… Yes it doesn’t go far..!!
The stipulated service intervals are 10000k's..

We got a nasty letter last week from the dealer saying apparently if we don’t service the Mazda AT THAT DEALERSHIP ONLY (clearly stated on the letter) every 6 months I will not only lose my extended warranty but void the manufacturers warranty.

Yes VOID it..

Needless to say I’ve just had a lengthy blue with Mazda about this and they dug in and refused to budge… I even had a service manager try to tell me fuel will contaminate the oil after such a long time …I asked him how the fuel would get into the oil if the car hasn’t been driven… i reminded him the car has only done 3500k's...No Answer… he then stammered and went on to say that the oil only has a limited shelf life and 6 months is pushing it… WTF???

Only after some serious discussions were they prepared to push it out to 10 months but I’m still not happy and I’m taking it further….

Last edited by 4Vman; 02-12-2010 at 03:41 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Crazy scenes!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did they state that in the paperwork you signed when purchasing the car/warranty?
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

You wont need warranty with a mazda neways.. shread it up.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Yes lets hope so although if they tried to ever reneg they're on very shaky ground...

Old 02-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
BS Detected
Old 02-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
GTP 044
Formally RED XR8

We brought a new Mazda 3 about 2 years ago and the EXTENDED Warranty says that the vehicle has to be serviced by that particular dealer for the duration of the factory AND the extended warranty. If we took it else where, the factory warranty is fine but NOT the extended warranty. Needless to say that since we got the extended warranty thrown in for free and I have found other dealerships to do servicing MUCH cheaper than where I brought the car from, I reckon that I can kiss the extended part goodbye. It doesn't concern me however, as the car is getting put up for sale very soon anyway.

Cheers,
Greg.

The only FPV ever built in CONGO GREEN

SOLD

CURRENT 2012 Manual, leather, sat nav GT 335 in SWIFT GREEN

1 of only 6 manual Swift Green GT’s and 1 of only 21 Swift Green GT’s in total
GTP 044 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
metallurg

I bought a Mazda6 in 2008 and the only good thing I have to say about it is that the dealers and warranty support were good. I got a new transmission after 3,000 km, among many other things.

And the servicing costs have been reasonable - the 40k major service was just over $400, and that's been the most expensive one by far (and they gave me a courtesy car for the day for nix).

I'd be looking for a different dealer, and talking to Mazda Australia directly - I found them very helpful.
metallurg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah I dont think what the guy said would have any legs....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

This sounds sus to me. Are you talking with Mazda head office and not just the dealership? I don't doubt that you got that letter from a dealership (they obviusly though you were a sucker and would just take the car in for a service to make them money) but surely mazda itself once informed would be rational.

The dealer hasn't the authority to void your manufacturers waranty anyhow *(though if the extended waranty was with them they could i suppose). As asked above was there any reference to this in the contract?

Mazda has got a bad rep out there on the service interval thing. Its rubbish and everyone knows it. In some cases th eexaxt same engine in a ford has a 15k 12mnth interval but as soon as it goes into a Mazda (who themselves claim to have better build and reliability than ford to the extent of denying the tech is even shared) it goes to 6months and 10k. Mazda has built up its cusomter service image (*in my experience they are quite good) but it wasn't so they'd look good its so they could make more money out of it. The service costs of current mazdas would be some of the highest for a non-premium brand i'd say. 6month shelf life on a modern oil after only 3500km is just ridiculous....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I'd be speaking to the ACCC if I were you...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Yes, i think it's anti-competitive behaviour to not allow others to do servicing. Ultratune even spruik in their adverts that their servicing won't void your manufacturer warranty. i think as long as it's done to a specified level, there's nothing they can do to void warranty.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
ACA or Today tonight would LOVE this story.

Then see if the service manager is game enough to spruik his BS on national TV

Old 02-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #14
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

If it's a 3rd party extended warranty, most of them specify that you have to service it at the place that sold it to you. Because it isn't a manufacturers warranty, they are allowed to do that.

For Mazda warranty you can get it serviced at any licenced mechanic, same as your Fords or Holdens etc.

If the Mazda warranty lists a maximum service interval in the same way as Ford (ie. 15,000km/6 months) then they can get you if you don't do it every 6 months no matter what the km.

That's probably the explanation he should have given you rather than the "oil shelf life BS"......

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #15
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, i know enough about the ACCC and manufacturers warranty obligations to know i'm fine if i really want to force the issue, i guess i just wanted to highlight the BS some dealers from other brands will spin to bluff you into using them not only regularly outside of reasonable service intervals but exclusively which we know they can't....

Old 02-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #16
XWGT