Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 
Default Leaving an engine running?

My next door neighbour has purchased a 2004 model car and insists every morning on leaving the car running for at least 5 mins before driving it.

I spoke to his wife this morning and she told me that the dealer they bought the car from told them to do this as it is better for the engine in the long run.

What is the benefit of doing this? 5 mins seems a long time to leave a car running in a stationary position. I know with older model diesel cars you need to run them for a bit before driving them, but I didn't think it was necessary for newer cars.

Old 24-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

No need for something of that age.

They're designed to be able to just start and go, it isn't the 60's anymore.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
T3man
Banned

The dealer is trying to cultivate future business. When the engine is glazed over and starts using oil excessively after about 100,000km he will be able to "sell" the customer a rebuild. Good business acumen if the customer is an idiot and knows no better.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
The dealer is trying to cultivate future business. When the engine is glazed over and starts using oil excessively after about 100,000km he will be able to "sell" the customer a rebuild. Good business acumen if the customer is an idiot and knows no better.
I thought the same thing
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tell them to read the owners manual & then get the dealer to explain why he is going against company policy..... and commonsense.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
JimNiki
71Mach1

All motors wear in the first few revolutions while oil poressure is established.
Motors also wear faster when cold.
As long as you don't thrash it for the first minute or 2 whilst driving off, then you're really gaining nothing other than wasting fuel.

just my 2c {+gst****
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

As RG says, it isn't the 60's anymore.

It was fairly standard practice once upon a time to allow things to warm up and so the car wouldn't stumble too much before you could push the choke in, but a 2004 car

I don't think so
Old 24-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

great idea of your neighbours - crank that heater up!

I run my cars this time of year for maybe that long each morning - nothing to do with warming the engine - it's to defrost the the interior! -2 deg this moring! -6 yesturday!

Just spoke a a guy at Lianawine (central Tas) and it was -10.8 overnight. Brrrrrrrr.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

If he wants glazed bores then he's going about it the right way.

No need for a 5 minute startup. I pretty much turn the key and go, but no WOT until the engine has reached optimum temp.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

my understanding is most engine wear occurs whilst cold, so the trick is go get them up to operating temperature as quickly as possible without hurting them in the process. ie turn it on and drive gently
Old 24-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
Boosh Brus

The BMW M cars have tachos with little LED indicators that show the maximum recommended rev range for the engines temperature. I thought that was pretty cool when I first saw it.
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
ryanstev

It's better to warm an engine up by driving it, it warms up the other parts, such as transmission and diff for one thing, but you also have higher oil pressure when you're driving than idle.
Old 24-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

It sounds like a good way to get hot-spots in your head/heads to me...
Old 24-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Most newer cars are designed to get up to running temperature very quickly.
I only have to drive my FG for about 2 klm and the temp gauge is moving....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #15
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I let my car go through it's "auto-choke" when I first fire it up, takes close to a minute, then I just leave it for another 30 seconds n take off slowly
Old 24-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #16
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have seen people during winter rev the freckle out of a cold engine as soon as it starts..... which is umm, not a good thing.

5 mins is over the top.

In really cold temperatures once the needle moved I would be off, usually 2 mins at most?

I have a 30m driveway so by the time i open the gate and close it, its warm enough.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #17
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still warm up my old cars, not for 5 mins though... As for the newer. I turn it on, do the whole adjusting the mirrors, seat, scratch my head, etc routine then go... Don't find the need to 'warm it up'.... but then I don't find the need to give it a flogging as soon as I start driving it!
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

run 20 seconds to let oil circulate through then off i go , nice and gentle, 2000/2200 revs max till operateing temp.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #19
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

on my focus XR5 temp seems to be relative to where its measured it has water and oil temps and oil pressure gauges when you start it and its brutally cold say 3 degc it almost instantly winds the oil pressure needle right off the dial it slams 5 bar (the upper limit of gauge very quickly) maybe 4 seconds its there so its pressuring the oil up real damn fast then you begin to drive and in maybe 3 minutes heat starts to come from the heater and maybe another 3 or 4 after that the temp rises BUT what is interesting is the oiltemp still hasn't moved from absolute zero and the pressure remains at maximum of the gauge or very close to it, it takes a further 10 minutes or more of driving for the oiltemp to come up and as it does the pressure goes down due to reduced viscosity I would think, so I think the watertemp gauge is good but oiltemp is a better indicator of engine temp and they take much longer to warm through than it appears.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
on my focus XR5 temp seems to be relative to where its measured it has water and oil temps and oil pressure gauges when you start it and its brutally cold say 3 degc it almost instantly winds the oil pressure needle right off the dial it slams 5 bar (the upper limit of gauge very quickly) maybe 4 seconds its there so its pressuring the oil up real damn fast then you begin to drive and in maybe 3 minutes heat starts to come from the heater and maybe another 3 or 4 after that the temp rises BUT what is interesting is the oiltemp still hasn't moved from absolute zero and the pressure remains at maximum of the gauge or very close to it, it takes a further 10 minutes or more of driving for the oiltemp to come up and as it does the pressure goes down due to reduced viscosity I would think, so I think the watertemp gauge is good but oiltemp is a better indicator of engine temp and they take much longer to warm through than it appears.
Water temp indicates when the cylinder case and heads are at operating temperature,
that's where the majority of engine wear occurs during engine warm up but you're right,
oil temperature indicates when the whole engine is fully warmed up.

The drop in oil pressure is probably viscosity change but it could also be
the clearances opening up a little in bearings and pump as metal expands...

Last edited by jpd80; 24-05-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 24-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #21
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I didnt think it was a necessary process anymore. It is so annoying...every morning...same time, for the same amount of time. My bedroom wall is right next to his driveway. At least I have a morning alarm. regular as clockwork.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 24-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #22
greens_tuf

The owners manual of my Golf VR6 says that when cold you should just start and drive at low rpm, no need to let it idle...

** I don't remember the exact wording, but it was something along those lines...
greens_tuf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #23
Mz Revvv Head

I also didn't think with the newer cars you had to warm them up ...
5 minutes seems a very long time to me ...
Altho with my XR I let it warm up for a minute or 2 ..

I've been told when I pick up the GT-P, I have to warm it up ???
Due to the very thick oil it has in it ?
And I was also told the GT'S don't run well when it's cold for that reason ???
Any advice would be great ... ty
Mz Revvv Head is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #24
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

slightly off topic, but where I had some minor warranty work done they had a practice of starting all the cars in the lot and leaving them idle for 20mins twice a week !!! it sent shivers down my spine.

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #25
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucool
slightly off topic, but where I had some minor warranty work done they had a practice of starting all the cars in the lot and leaving them idle for 20mins twice a week !!! it sent shivers down my spine.
It's not a problem leaving a petrol engine to engine idle for 20 minutes, you will not glaze bores.
Once it's warmed up, it's no different to a normal car sitting stationary with the A/C on.....
It's needed to ensure the batteries remain fully charged, there's some parasitic loss with modern electronics.
Every dealer I know does this and has done it for years, the lack of prolific glazed bore problem says
that the thought of significant blow by occurring with low tension rings at idle is minimal...

I think the glazed bores idea came from Diesel engines, they don't like to idle without load,
that will eventually glaze the bores

Last edited by jpd80; 24-05-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 25-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #26
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I think the glazed bores idea came from Diesel engines, they don't like to idle without load,
that will eventually glaze the bores
I wish someone would tell that to all the truck & van drivers that refuse to turn off their motors while doing deliveries etc.

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty
I wish someone would tell that to all the truck & van drivers that refuse to turn off their motors while doing deliveries etc.
some turbo engines need to idle down before shutting down(more commonly big diesels).
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #28
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty
That's more to do with diesel generator sets, when the diesels run without
any load for extended time, they tend to flash burn the bores causing glazing...
Old 24-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #29
SVTVNM
Guzzler

My old man still gets in his late model Pajero diesel and sits in it for what seems like eternity before he drives off. I used to drive a 85' Diesel Hiace for about 6 years over 500,00klm I put on it, drove it everyday not once sat in it to warm it up just started it and drove off sensibly, Thats always been my opinion just dont flog a cold engine.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVNM
My old man still gets in his late model Pajero diesel and sits in it for what seems like eternity before he drives off. I used to drive a 85' Diesel Hiace for about 6 years over 500,00klm I put on it, drove it everyday not once sat in it to warm it up just started it and drove off sensibly, Thats always been my opinion just dont flog a cold engine.
Well said and most people do similar.