Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default Should I try the other cam?

Well ...being inspired by OED'S success and having bought exactly the same cam as a backup I am on the border of sticking it in or not. I have run a 14.7 so far with the dev 4 wagon with a buch of tricks from myself to get it finally working.The dev 4 is a potential 14.5 to 14.6 1/4 mile,maybe a 14.3 .Am I mad? Should I just leave it alone? Curiosity killed the cat they say.Maybe ill store it with my super head and wait for the head gasket to leak or the 270,000 km mark..??

What would you guys do?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

I'd swap the cam, head and edit and pull a 13 before anyone else does.. TO say you were the first is worthy of a pat on the back

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Wagonmods ... getting you to Woolworths quicker
Stav ... DOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIT.

Hey ... if you have nothing better to do ... what the hell hey!
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I have formally quit the drag racing thing.I think the wagon is kicking butt. If this setup tuned gives me more than the dev 4 on the same dyno then I will gtech it and see if it can rip a 13. If it has the power then and only then will I consider going back. It would be funny getting a 13 in a taxi wagon. the other thing is that the surecam website has been closed.I dont know if theyre in business anymore? I do know they have moved here in Sydney though.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 21-07-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

If you are curious enough I think you will try it.
If you have the spare time to fiddle around ... then go for it.
Would be interesting to see how it goes.
And put some noses out of joint at the same time too ... hee hee
Old 21-07-2006, 06:36 PM   #6
Stav
Smile

HAHAH YOU KILL ME MECHANIK!!!

I only risk 40o odd dollars for a retune.I have the cam paid for in plastic.400 odd bucks a good retune ,some testing then a decision on which is the better one. Worst case scenario is the dev 4 legend goes back in!! Still will have its tunes as well. Some noses were born out of joint. Doesnt worry me at all. Just that for such a small price I could come out with an extra 10 rwkws.Theres no harm in that..is there? In 2-3 hours I can do the whole job. God knows how many times I removed the rockers for these damm regrind shimss.

Old 21-07-2006, 06:50 PM   #7
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
HAHAH YOU KILL ME MECHANIK!!!

I only risk 40o odd dollars for a retune.I have the cam paid for in plastic.400 odd bucks a good retune ,some testing then a decision on which is the better one. Worst case scenario is the dev 4 legend goes back in!! Still will have its tunes as well. Some noses were born out of joint. Doesnt worry me at all. Just that for such a small price I could come out with an extra 10 rwkws.Theres no harm in that..is there? In 2-3 hours I can do the whole job. God knows how many times I removed the rockers for these damm regrind shimss.
See you're already half way there to getting it done plus you have the luxury of being able to pull the cam in and out yourself which saves $$.

Do it.

Why look back and dwell on what could have been ? lol

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 06:47 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

$400 for a retune. There's a certain tuner who travels who only charges dyno fees for a retune (except where major surgery is involved). $400 is a bit high, unless the initial cost of the Flash box was low, I suppose.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 06:51 PM   #9
Stav
Smile

I know the one you speak of...he too is a big legend. The grasshooper of tuning!! lol
Its just that these guys are just down the road and really woke the car up with their tune. Its screaming!!! 3 tuners,3 tunes and the car felt different each time.Now feels brilliant.Except for traction loss on many occasions.

Old 21-07-2006, 06:52 PM   #10
Stav
Smile

I am trying to resisttttttt
Very hardddddddddddddddd!!! :

Old 21-07-2006, 06:52 PM   #11
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
$400 for a retune. There's a certain tuner who travels who only charges dyno fees for a retune (except where major surgery is involved). $400 is a bit high, unless the initial cost of the Flash box was low, I suppose.
From what I'm hearing people say in NSW, $400 is cheap.

I've heard $550 being put out as a price. To redo my Unichip I'm looking at $350.

Old 21-07-2006, 06:50 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Still $400 for an extra 10rwkw could be worth it ... it also depends on the torque curve and where it's making the power, etc too.

if it doesn't work out i guess ... just put it back the way it was.
It sounds like you really want to do it ... but seeking for people to try and put you off though

DOOOO ITTTTT
Old 21-07-2006, 06:53 PM   #13
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Well ...being inspired by OED'S success and having bought exactly the same cam as a backup I am on the border of sticking it in or not.
What did OED achieve performance wise btw ?

Old 21-07-2006, 06:55 PM   #14
Stav
Smile

a flat 14 and 99mph!!

Old 22-07-2006, 09:44 AM   #15
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT you know you wanna.
FS5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #16
Stav
Smile

I do want to but I am seeing te50's with less power from 0-100 kmph on the same dyno and theyre tuned!!! If I get more mid to top end power the wagon may not have the street /fun power any more.See for example a turbo 14 second I6 vs a I6of same capacity should generally be slower down low than the na asirated six.Why ? Because we wont make the top end power of a turbo so have to get as much down as soon as possible.Well beat them in the first part then theyll catch up and run the same time at the end. So a bigger cam may take the fun out of my street drivng.
Also..I know that cam is worth 165 rwkws in a manual ..so 150-155 rwkws in an auto.Currently I have 147.8 -149 so for the mucking around I know there is more without getting grease /oil on my hands with these other useless book mods.This cam will be kept aside until its called on for in a head change.
OED is a champion man....got me thinking too.Hope he rips a 13 soon!!

Old 22-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #17
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

OED doesn't count, his engine isn't in an AU.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 11:53 AM   #18
Stav
Smile

Yes it is.He has an au xr6 hp engine in that car with a surecam for au.

Old 22-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #19
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I think he means his engine isn't inside an AU model car.

What weight difference is there between his E series and the AU ?

Old 22-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #20
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
I think he means his engine isn't inside an AU model car.

What weight difference is there between his E series and the AU ?
Exactly what I meant. Lot's of E-Series cars doing 13 N/A, and I wouldn't use one as a guide, AU engine or not... No doubt he's done a great job, but it's not an AU bodied car...
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 03:06 PM   #21
Stav
Smile

Theres only 2 on their list from memory doing 13's in na form

Old 22-07-2006, 03:08 PM   #22
Stav
Smile

Nope only one stokeb and he ran an au head in it.Weve got some catching up to do guys.

Old 22-07-2006, 02:11 PM   #23
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Mate if you don't try it I will!
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 02:23 PM   #24
Stav
Smile

For a small fee your welcome.!! lol

Old 22-07-2006, 02:28 PM   #25
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stav, just go for it! Even if it is ~$500, it's not like your going to miss it anytime soon. You could save that over a month, easily. ;)
Old 22-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #26
Stav
Smile

Dammit Ill wait a bit then just do it.

Old 22-07-2006, 09:01 PM   #27
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Stav go for it. You may end up with a better set up and gives you another chance at the strip to try and get traction.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2006, 11:21 PM   #28
HLC
Audi S3

do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it!

ok thats enough from me :
Old 23-07-2006, 12:24 AM   #29
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it! do it!

ok thats enough from me :
This is like counting sheeeeppp,im geting sleepy,sleepy ,sleepier sleeepyyyyyyyyyyyyy I might just dream of green light gettaways tonight.Go to church and pray for perfect get aways...Who knows..might come true but for one thing....a promise!!

Why did I spoil that dream? :Reverend:

Old 23-07-2006, 11:35 AM   #30
Stav
Smile

The cam is going in.So to will my cylinder head.New guides going in soon and I am going to do some realistic intake mods as well.The bbm is getting an extreme makeover.Hopefully will all be done by october.