Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-05-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
RAPID_BA
Banned

Default Car parks and duty if care

When I go to shoping centres, gym, hospital etc etc, I cant help but notice the size of the car spots are too small.

your almost lucky if you return to your car without a ding from someone opening their door on your car. You cant fully open your door without banging someones car, you cant expect kids to be careful. You would expect adults to be careful but they are not.

I look for spots next to poles or away from busy part of carpark or sometimes take two spots. Not because im inconsiderate but because I think its likely someone will open their doors on my car.

Today I went to hospital and had to sneak out of my car not to hit the next car, but most people will open their doors on someones car. I think the hospital should have a duty of care to have decent sized spaces.

Im very careful, most people are not. Do shopping centres have a duty of care to prevent this as some spots are just too small. They create the environment for this to happen

RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 02:22 AM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Car parks and duty if care

thats true Hulk Ba, i generally pick my spots very carefully, if possible a distance away from the entrance with no other cars, so no one will park next to me, all though often it seems to work like a magnet :(
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 03:14 AM   #3
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

At work, the employee car park is in the shoddiest possible spot (no lighting at all, employees leave work 10pm weeknights - often later).
I've come out and had a massive dent on the tailgate of my wagon from some knob in a ute backing into it so I know what you're saying.

Sitting in the passenger's seat of my sister's camry, waiting for her to come out the shops; a mini van pulls up next to her car, kids jump out and slam their doors into her car.
The parents hear and see this happening but don't do anything until I open my window and say; "Are you going to pay for those dents to be fixed?"
Then they glare at their kids "Come here this instant and apologise!"
The kids obviously didn't know what they'd done wrong "Hey, its my sister's car, I'm not interested in apologies - whats your insurance details?"
The bloke acted like the damage was there before they got there, his attitude was very counter-productive, had he been polite about it we probably would have let it slide.
In the end, I said don't worry about it - you've obviously got bigger problems to deal with.
Their car was littered with dents from typical bad driving incidents - scraped paint on the bumpers etc.
I'm hoping they went home and taught the kids how to properly open their doors, I'm surprised at the amount of force those kids used to open the doors - the car shook when it was hit.

My wagon has so many dents from inconsiderate people - once an older lady driving a late model camry actually drove into the rear bumper while entering a park next to me, she reversed out and was about to take off when I got out and asked her to roll down her window.
I told her that the damage was minimal and that I wasn't after getting such a petty thing fixed, however I did tell her that she should have stopped instead of trying to flee the scene.

Some people just don't care unless they're caught in the act.
If I can't get out a car without bumping the next car with my door, I find another park.
Simple as that.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
66GT

Local councils used to have minimum sizes for car parks includint distances between rows etc. However these may have been reduced as everyone now drives a Smart car & we therefore don't require the larger carparks.

Years ago, I was sitting waiting in my old EA wagon shopping trolly complete with all the accumulated carpark dents & scratches, when the lady next to me opens her door hard into mine. She never flinched or said anything & was about to walk off when I asked if she had anything to say. Her reply was that as my car already had so many scratches it would be hard to identify if she had done any damage & proceeded to walk off. I openned my door & slammed it into hers, loud bang, she quickly turns around & proceeded to go off at the dent I had left in her reletively new car. I replied to her to prove it was me. She continued to go off about it. I replied that it realy is a shame that there is so many arrogant people around who couldn't care about other people's property. She eventually appologised & promised to take more care in the future. hopefully lesson learnt.
66GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

the size of the parking space is not too small - the amount of respect others give is too small
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
the size of the parking space is not too small - the amount of respect others give is too small

Sums it up pritty well

The minister can park a 4x4 Nissan patrol in any carpark without hitting anything,maybe people need to learn not only how to drive properly , but park as well

Treat others cars as you would HOPE they treat yours
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Space management for everyone's loss! It's hard lines when you can't park a falcon ute in a car park because it's designed for 'small vehicles'...

Usually the other half parks as far away from the shopping centre entrance as possible. We come back to the car, there is, without fail, someone parked beside us.

The temptation to leave a note requesting that next time they leave a tin opener so I can get back into my car is sometimes very hard to overcome.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
dannyxm
was danny888

As a Solicitor, parking stations have no duty of care in regard to damage or theft of a vehicle.

UNLESS, negligence can be proved.

They also would have to provide sufficent warning as to no liability, perhaps a sign as you drive into the parking station for instance:

Long standing English Case in regard to same:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thornto...ne_Parking_Ltd
Old 03-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
RAPID_BA
Banned

So is the answer to take two spots? If people dont care then what is the choice? Driving a falcon you are always going to find tight spots, cant expect kids to be cautious.

Im not gonna accept dings to my cars so need to take up two spots
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #10
AGS302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
So is the answer to take two spots? If people dont care then what is the choice? Driving a falcon you are always going to find tight spots, cant expect kids to be cautious.

Im not gonna accept dings to my cars so need to take up two spots
Then you run the risk of someone vandalising your car because they think you're a self obsessed d*ckhead.
AGS302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #11
Buttnekid
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny351
As a Solicitor, parking stations have no duty of care in regard to damage or theft of a vehicle.

UNLESS, negligence can be proved.

They also would have to provide sufficent warning as to no liability, perhaps a sign as you drive into the parking station for instance:

Long standing English Case in regard to same:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thornto...ne_Parking_Ltd
With the greatest of respect the caselaw you cite is actually contrary to your contention.

It in fact separates causes of action in contract from causes of action in tort. To contractually exclude the general law of negligence, there needs to be specific PRIOR notice of exempting conditions.

The OP is not asking that question, he is saying whether the negligent design of the carpark can instill in a cause of action in a person that suffers damage directly caused by the car park being too small.

I would say all of the elements of negligence are satisfied, it just comes down to whether it has been properly contractually exempted or not. In many cases it will not have been, so your general statement that "parkings stations have no duty of care in regard to damage or theft of a vehicle UNLESS negligence can be provided" is legally incorrect.

Duty of Care is not dependant upon proving negligence. Duty of care is an obligation owed to one person.

Where as negligence is the performance of an act or ommision of a tortfeaser in breach of that duty of care.

I guess what I am saying is that you dont have to prove negligence for their to be a duty of care and there is certainly not a general rule of law that no duty of care owed by carparks as the caselaw you cite establishes. You also omit to consider various statutes (Occupier and Civil Liability Acts etc) that are unable to be contracted out of.

My solution is not to drive and park at a carpark unless absolutely necessary and then I will wait until I can get an end of the line car bay and butt hard up against the curb/pillar whatever to try and create an acceptable space but you always get some turkey who will simly park on the line and then render useless your efforts to prevent some kid or uncaring adult from ruining your day when you return to your pride and joy.

cheers
Buttnekid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't say I have had this problem at all and I park on carparks all the time. I may of just been lucky so far.
I did notice Many years ago a carparks with the spaces so small a landcruiser could not fit between the lines.
Our magna seamed to feel like a tank in that car park. Terrible design tbh.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fact is that people are inconsiderate ****ers. I usually inflict damage on people's cars when they damage mine. If people had any idea how to drive, parking wouldn't be too difficult.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think the spaces themselves are the problem mostly, some of the time it's actually the space between one row of car parks and the other.
I find myself in some car parks having to do almost 4 points of back and forth just to get my car out, as I go to back out yet only have barely my cars length of space to pull out into.
Also how people seemingly think it's okay to blindly walk behind your car when you are trying to back out, lucky for them I am prepared but if I was some idiot that jumps in, slams it in reverse and hopes for the best, there would be A LOT of tears and problems.
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #15
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I just park miles away if I have to…

And if it’s not a busy car park/busy day I’ll double park so no-one parks next to me…But always away from the more popular spots.

What I don’t get is, when you park miles away, cars sitting by itself with no car near it…come back, some idiot has parked right next to you.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #16
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and this is one reason why we bought i corolla for our everyday car, if someone dents the car, while i am still very annoyed, i just wouldnt cope if it was a nice falcon lol. Rude inconciderate people drive me batty, im surprised theres not more carpark rage

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #17
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Years ago a mate got parked in (parallel park) by a dork who could've not parked him in.
Put the Jeep into low-range and pushed the dorkmobile forward with the bullbar, and drove out.
Job done.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #18
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Car parks just plain and simply suck eggs.

Park away from everyone and as mentioned it is like a magnet.

BUT be carefull double parking too! Many jealous people are likely to key your car or something because you are a ****** who took 2 parking spots.

Cant win really.

Last one that got me I circled the mark on his door where he hit mine and drew an arrow onto it so he would not miss it. Shame I did not have a pen ;)

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #19
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Car parks in newer places are smaller then when you park in older areas of Melbourne (unless they 'revamp' the car park). I always try and park as far as away from everyone as possible. To many bozo's don't know how to manoeuvre their cars safely in a car park let alone let alone park it properly.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #20
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your car is more of a theft target when you park miles your car by its self. A couple of years ago a few high end cars got stolen from a Melbourne shopping centre car park. What they all had in common was that they all parked away from the front door and on there own. What a tow truck did was, go and pick up the car's and take it away. About 6 cars went missing before the police set up a sting and got the people involved. So you may think your car is safer by parking it away, but you are increasing the chance of break in and theft.

Also people who park in 2 spots usually end up with the car being keyed or window smashed.

And to the first question, does the owner of the car park have any responsibilty the answer is no. Park at your own risk. Well not for other people hitting your car anyway.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #21
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I am glad I am not the only one that is driving a magnet. Does not matter how far I park away from everyone else, the bozo in the 4WD has to park right next to me. What is it with these people, is just cool to park next to a FPV or something.

Car park issues are one of the many bonuses with driving the Mini, even the "small car only" bays have enough room and the bozo in the 4WD can't park next to you.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #22
57customline
Starter Motor

cant win, park in two spots and your in the limelight, park normally and risk peoplewho dont care... i would teach my kids to be careful, thats just me though unfortunatly.
57customline is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #23
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

There must be "standards" as far as car parking size requirements?.. (new and old)
I recall line-marking the parking spaces in my factory carpark and was told by the mob I bought the paint and wheely-painter thing off that 2400mm width x 5000mm long was the go.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #24
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Had an incident like this last week.

My wife was changing my sons nappy in the car so naturally the door was open into a vacant carpark (probably rude but when you got a crappy nappy to change you got a crappy nappy to change)

An older woman (early to mid 40's) drives up to the vacant spot next to us and proceeds to park, even though there was a vacant park again next to the one we occupied and plenty on the other side of the laneway. We asked her to move back but she blatantly refused and then drove into the passenger door. I kicked her front bar so she'd move back so I could close the door.

My wife then said "Can't you reverse back into the other carpark?"

She said "No, I can't"

I then said "Maybe you should give up your license then".
Old 03-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #25
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Carparks have indeed got smaller...but also remember that cars on average have got larger.

Park a VC Commodore beside a VE, look at an XD compared to an FG.
Hell, look at "smaller" cars now, even they've grown.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #26
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I've noticed an increase in people forgetting how to park properly, or getting lazy about fixing up their parking. They just pull in, don't care how their car is situated between the lines and then walk away, ruining it for the next person. I am certain it's getting worse and worse, or I'm just getting older and crankier.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #27
66GT

The misses took 16 (almost 17) learner for a drive to the shops in the AU. Made him park etc. misses got out to check the reverse parallel park job, as the line markings were very faint. Gets son to move 30cm forward & mr police officer threatens her with a ticket for both her & son as he was driving without a open licence holder in the car. But apparently he did do a good tight park without hitting anyone alse.
66GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #28
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

In my wagon back in the day, this bloke decided that he didn't know how to park so I moved in nice and close behind him
Old 03-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #29
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Evans

In my wagon back in the day, this bloke decided that he didn't know how to park so I moved in nice and close behind him
My pet hate... I live in a street littered with units, and there are a select few people who decide that a Laser / Corolla needs 3 metres either end vacant to be 'on the safe side'.... then there are the people who leave 1.5 metres in front and 3.5 metres behind, so they seem to be trying to 'do their bit' but again make it a 1 car only space because 90% of small cars need that extra 70cm (that could have been taken from the front) to fit.

In Europe... this wouldn't be tolerated BTW... you hog a spot that fits 2 cars and there won't be a second time it's done.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #30
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
My pet hate... I live in a street littered with units, and there are a select few people who decide that a Laser / Corolla needs 3 metres either end vacant to be 'on the safe side'.... then there are the people who leave 1.5 metres in front and 3.5 metres behind, so they seem to be trying to 'do their bit' but again make it a 1 car only space because 90% of small cars need that extra 70cm (that could have been taken from the front) to fit.

In Europe... this wouldn't be tolerated BTW... you hog a spot that fits 2 cars and there won't be a second time it's done.
Yeah it was an old dude that owned that Subaru, he glared at me when he was walking to his car.
I just said "If you'd parked correctly, I wouldn't have needed to get so close mate."

Its pretty bad in the mainstreet of my hometown, people don't know how to park without crashing into the curb/backing into you.