Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Is Epica the next big thing

Holden are to release a 2.5 litre inline-6 5 seater sedan range, that looks sorta like a mini Commodore at a sub $30,000 price.

With big cars on the decline could a new mid size smaller 6 meet camry head on and finally kill 380? How many sales will it steal from Commy and Falcon?
What has ford got to head it off? Mondeo could be much more expensive limited volume "niche" car.

There's no doubt people are looking for cheaper more economical cars then falc/commy thses days, and a smaller, cheaper but still "6 cylinder HOLDEN" (according to the badge) will appeal to mums n dads and fleets.

If for about $30,000 drive away, you can get a roomy(-ish) 6 cyl auto "Holden" with all the niceties (criuse, air, cd, airbags, fast glass, abs, traction etc) and with Holdens dealer network and advertising clout, look out. Add a few stripes, mags and spoilers, and its a "sports 6". Torana anyone?

So what if its FWD and korean, most people DONT care. Remember 90% of car buyers are NOT enthusiasts, the just want nice comfortable trustworthy economical transport. Who cares if its FWD, RWD or somewheel drive, they dont care if 0-100 takes 6 or 11 seconds. So long as it keeps up in traffic and can cruise on freeway at 110, who needs more? They DO care about looks, room, comfort and cost, and the name Holden reassures them.

If they can get them here in numbers, the BIG 6 sedans could really be in trouble. This could indeed be an Epic-car.

http://www.fullboost.com.au/popNews2...i=3&n=5&y=2007

http://www.fullboost.com.au/popNews2...i=2&n=5&y=2007

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring...-epica-new.htm

http://www.autoguide.com.au/news.asp?news_id=3203

http://glassguide.goauto.com.au/mell...25727300813B1C

bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

It will do well to start with, but QUALITY issues are going to be a problem, just like the Captiva, the daewoo build quality is starting to shine thru.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
DA68ZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
It will do well to start with, but QUALITY issues are going to be a problem, just like the Captiva, the daewoo build quality is starting to shine thru.
man u are spot on.
DA68ZA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

jeez do you get commission?

I think there is demand for a good medium car, but there are already plenty out there. Again, someone who is buying a falcon or commy wants a bigger car for whatever reason, but there are some that have come to the realisation that they dont really need a large car.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
jeez do you get commission?

I think there is demand for a good medium car, but there are already plenty out there. Again, someone who is buying a falcon or commy wants a bigger car for whatever reason, but there are some that have come to the realisation that they dont really need a large car.
I agree. I have a falcon ute because I need a ute. My wife wants a smaller car and when the time comes we will probably look at a focus.
As far as I'm concerned Camry and Magna are in the same class as falcon and commodore. So really, I don't see what class this would fit into? We already have a massive range of options to choose from, why complicate things more with all these in between cars.

VOLUME is what makes profit. I think part of the problem with car manufacturers today is they offer too many different vehicles that really aren't that different from each other.
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 01:28 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb02
I agree. I have a falcon ute because I need a ute. My wife wants a smaller car and when the time comes we will probably look at a focus.
As far as I'm concerned Camry and Magna are in the same class as falcon and commodore. So really, I don't see what class this would fit into? We already have a massive range of options to choose from, why complicate things more with all these in between cars.

VOLUME is what makes profit. I think part of the problem with car manufacturers today is they offer too many different vehicles that really aren't that different from each other.
And thats the really bad thing about the whole globalisation issue.

I was reading an article that said that the new Mondeo ST will run the same engine as the XR5 (T5). Currently it has a V6 that is fantastic, why would they use the T5.

Its going to get to a point were global companies will use similar engines all over the world. It makes business sense, but for the people that enjoy their driving all the cars are slowly going to be the same.

Case1 - C1 platform, S40, Focus and Mazda 3 are all good cars, but this is only early in the platform sharing stage and look at the common parts, heaps! You would think that its only going to get worse.

Thats why I am a fan of Porsche, truly one of the last companies to have individual DNA, and even then Im sure some parts are sourced from other companies.

Its a shame.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 16-02-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 16-02-2007, 01:34 PM   #7
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:

Thats why I am a fan of Porsche, truly one of the last companies to have individual DNA, and even then Im sure some parts are sourced from other companies.

Its a shame.
I've always been a huge porsche fan, this is one of many reasons why. The last figures I read about porsche claim they are doing very very well financially.. Makes you wonder why other manufacturers don't do the same??
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb02
I've always been a huge porsche fan, this is one of many reasons why. The last figures I read about porsche claim they are doing very very well financially.. Makes you wonder why other manufacturers don't do the same??
My guess would be that other manufacturers dont have the badge to back them up. I mean look at the cayenne, not the prettiest thing, but it still sells.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 16-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #9
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And thats the really bad thing about the whole globalisation issue.

I was reading an article that said that the new Mondeo ST will run the same engine as the XR5 (T5). Currently it has a V6 that is fantastic, why would they use the T5.

Its going to get to a point were global companies will use similar engines all over the world. It makes business sense, but for the people that enjoy their driving all the cars are slowly going to be the same.

Case1 - C1 platform, S40, Focus and Mazda 3 are all good cars, but this is only early in the platform sharing stage and look at the common parts, heaps! You would think that its only going to get worse.

Its a shame.
But isnt Porsches DNA originally VW beetle anyway?
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 11:33 AM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
But isnt Porsches DNA originally VW beetle anyway?
Perhaps a very, very long time ago.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 16-02-2007, 12:47 PM   #11
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With the Mazda 6 and Accord right on or under the $30k mark, I don't see the Epica being a huge hit.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 12:49 PM   #12
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very plain looking. New Mondeo looks alot better IMO. But the Holden is also competing against a very good looking Mazda 6 which are around the same price and continiuing to sell well. I think it will be very challenging for Holden to sell this here but it seems the price might be an advantage.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
FPVTurboTaxi

i have a mate that is in service for holden ... we always have good banter going between us Ford v Holden but he is apauled with the quality of these rebadges that he is servicing and doing waranty repairs from both asia and euro ... here comes anudder one to add to the list

For Sale QLD Number Plates 06-XRF $550 PM me
FPVTurboTaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #14
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

looks like something toyota would build.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #15
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by needaXYGT
And toyota dont sell many do they?
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by needaXYGT
Nah ... it's much worse than what Toyota would build.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 02:21 PM   #17
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Poo. Give me mazda 6 or honda any day. Not really a car that will sell well unless it comes to market for around 23K. Even then, Hyundai and KIA have alternatives that are, well, better. I think in that price bracket alot of people would go the Holden over the KIA, but you also have to remember that 23K buys alot of Hyundai; which are rapidly building a solid reputation.

Quote: