Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The Crush Begins.........

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...006301,00.html

POLICE will be given the power to crush the cars of hoons, the State Government has announced.

Premier Mike Rann has today announced the police commissioner will be able to direct the Sheriff to destroy cars that have been forfeited.

The new laws will also increase street drag racing from a traffic offence to a criminal offence.

"These repeat offenders are hell bent on driving dangerously and engaging in anti-social behavior," Mr Rann said.

"They give little or no thought to the safety of innocent road users or their own safety.

"Our message is if these hoons persist with their irresponsible behaviour, then we will crush what they value most, their cars.

"Illegal street racing may give some drivers a quick rush, but their dicing-with-death antics can have consequences lasting a lifetime and that's why we want these drivers off our streets."

Road Safety Minister Michael O'Brien said it was not only repeat offenders who risked having their cars crushed, but also those caught once for high-speed street racing.

"It's up to the police commissioner, but it is a high probability that those caught street racing will have their car crushed," he said.

"That's the message we want to send, if you are out there and you are caught racing at 140km/h or 150km/h down Port Rd with another car then the police commissioner would really want to send a strong message to them too.

"I think the community wants this too. They are not prepared to tolerate this."

More than 6150 cars have been clamped or impounded by police since the State Government introduced tough new anti hoon legislation in 2005.

The Government hopes the laws will be in place soon after parliament resumes in September..........

my points...

1. police have the power to make the decision to crush, not a court (i can see this being watered down before they become fully fledged laws)

2. "but also those caught once for high-speed street racing"
how would it be proven? would they need video evidence of the racing? or just the word of an officer?

3. whats the bet once a $100,000+ car goes up on crushing charges that the rules will be modified even further because the person that owns that car would have the capacity to defend it in court?

4. why did'nt they do this in conjunction with opening a chunk of bitumen somewhere outside the city so people can drag and do burnouts to their wallets content?

now i know this article states "forfeited cars", ie the state then owns, however, when a set of police lights goes on behind them(racers), how many are going to remember that?

i can see a spike in deaths attributed to high speed chases........

Last edited by ltd_on20s; 14-07-2009 at 06:22 PM.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm.....i can see it already 'car full of 'hoon drivers' killed after trying to evade police.'

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
Barry_v
rocknrolla

if it keeps the masses happy then so be it... seems stupid crushing an innocent car though. akin to burning a drug dealers cash.

how about they fix the justice system so they dont let violent repeat offenders out on parole.. this bothers more people than hoons!
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

stupid idea, don't punish the cars!

Although, it will mainly be VN commos...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 05:12 AM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
stupid idea, don't punish the cars!

Although, it will mainly be VN commos...
The alternative is not working, and those being crushed are innocent road users (and sometimes, the not so innocent parties themselves and their mates in the car with them).

I reckon crush them and see what effect that has - if it doesn't work, at least the idiots that behave like this will need to fork out more money to keep going.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
Barry_v
rocknrolla

perhaps, but repeat hoon offenders arent known for their intelligence and great logic.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
Ibrox90
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by redauxr8
I would actually *die* before i let some scumbag crush my car... Oh well from now on i suppose the rule is "if they can't catch u they can't crush ur car aye"

Top attitude, thats what give car enthusiasts a bad name
My apologies for my first comment, but what i say still stands. this is the kinda of attitude that means i get pulled over 3 times in a 30 minute journey.

quick lesson ive learned in my short life, cops always win ALWAYS

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
mntxr
Jamie is the name

they have cracked down on my work industrail area from last week what i am told by the cop that pulled me over today said that there having min 4 cars a day patroling the area
Old 14-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Kids will buy $300 bombs and won't care if they are crushed. In fact, I believe some kids will see it as some sort of 'club' as if it was something to be proud of, therefore reducing its effect as a deterrent.

Last edited by Mark351; 14-07-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
mntxr
Jamie is the name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark351
Kids will buy $300 bombs and won't care if they are crushed. In fact, I believe some kids will see it as some sort of 'club' as if it was something to be proud of, therefore reducing its effect as a deterrent.
yeah i agree it will happen and if they get caught they prob just do runners from the car

but the biggest thing i am sick of with this crack down is being a p plater i have a bigg target on the forehead that says pull me over and they try and remm me every time even that i drive a 04 ba xr6
Old 14-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #11
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

I dont see how the state has the right to crush a car if the driver of the car is not the owner. what if your son or daughter or uncle tom got done and they crushed your car for his stupidity? surely then you could take legal action against the state for compensation especially if it was your only form of transport so you couldn't get to work, lost your job the wife and dog have left and it was not your doing that got it crushed. firths the compensation lawyers will have a go for you cant wait for the first test case.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #12
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
I dont see how the state has the right to crush a car if the driver of the car is not the owner. what if your son or daughter or uncle tom got done and they crushed your car for his stupidity? surely then you could take legal action against the state for compensation especially if it was your only form of transport so you couldn't get to work, lost your job the wife and dog have left and it was not your doing that got it crushed. firths the compensation lawyers will have a go for you cant wait for the first test case.
exactly.

lets say you give your car to a mate for the day because his is being fixed. mate gets to lights against turbo doof doof ricer, he decideds to gun it, you know, because boys are boys. what then? is the rules the same whether hooning in your car or a mates? do both get crushed? does the guy who leant the mate the car get pinged for something he had no control over?
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #13
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Good stuff. Hope it works...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #14
loosey

In fear of being caught or a 'his word against mine' situation I can see a lot of people putting loans on their cars. How will the government be able to crush a car that belongs to the bank?
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #15
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionless_xe
In fear of being caught or a 'his word against mine' situation I can see a lot of people putting loans on their cars. How will the government be able to crush a car that belongs to the bank?

Same as what happens if you ride your car off with no insurance.goodbye car hello repayments.i wonder if the car that gets caught has to have the registred owner behind the wheel for this to take place,if so their are so many loopholes in this seriously.whatever bakes their cake?

Not the "BEST" answer in my opinion,but wadda ya do.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 04:45 AM   #16
iliov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmore
Same as what happens if you ride your car off with no insurance.goodbye car hello repayments.i wonder if the car that gets caught has to have the registred owner behind the wheel for this to take place,if so their are so many loopholes in this seriously.whatever bakes their cake?

Not the "BEST" answer in my opinion,but wadda ya do.
Are you a fool or something. When you take out a loan for a car. The bank MAKES you take out FULL COMPREHENSIVE insurance.
iliov is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 05:17 AM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliov
Are you a fool or something. When you take out a loan for a car. The bank MAKES you take out FULL COMPREHENSIVE insurance.
I'd like to see the insurance company that covers "crushing due to hoon behaviour" in their policy. You may need to keep that fool tag close to home.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 05:49 AM   #18
iliov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I'd like to see the insurance company that covers "crushing due to hoon behaviour" in their policy. You may need to keep that fool tag close to home.
He referred to being unable to pay load repayments due to not having full comp. You must have full comp to take out the load in the first place. His post is a double cross. Its not possible... fool.
iliov is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #19
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionless_xe
Your liable for the car not the government, its like your car insurance your not covered for racing either so its the risk if you take it.

Personally I think its a great idea. 1 less hoon for a little while and 1 less "hoon" car.

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #20
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SA the police state....

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #21
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

they just had a thing on this on the ch7 news. Saying something about cars of little or no value to be crushed, cars of value to be sold and proceeds to victims of crime.

On the 'word of the police' subject, say i'm heading somewhere with a mate, we're driving side by side, both cars travelling at 105kmh in a 100 zone. A cop stops both cars. He can quite happily say we were racing, as opposed to both speeding and one failing to keep left. The difference between a fine and on your way, or car impounding, court visit and 4 points gone from your license, can all come down to how the officers day has gone so far..

awesome hey...
Old 14-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #22
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if there gonna crush em how about they start with this?imagine the outroar if this bloke was driving a v8 commodore!
VMotoring writer 'did 231km/h' in Ferrari
A motoring writer has allegedly been clocked driving a $400,000 Ferrari at more than 230km/h on a West Australian road.
Police say traffic officers pulled over 57-year-old Australian Financial Review motoring writer Rod Easdown in the West Australian wheatbelt on Monday.
The V8 Ferrari California convertible he was driving, worth more than $400,000 and reportedly one of only two in Australia, has been impounded for seven days under WA's tough anti-hoon legislation.
A News Ltd website reported a number of motoring writers were to test drive the car in WA.
Easdown is alleged to have been driving at 231km/h in a 110km/h zone when he was pulled over on Julimar Road, near Toodyay, east of Perth, about noon (WST).
Police said Easdown, from the Perth suburb of Wembley, will be summonsed to appear in a Perth court on a charge of reckless driving.
Sergeant Greg Lambert said regardless of a car's capabilities, excessive speed was a contributing factor in about 60 people dying on WA roads every year.
i dont agree with crushing them,auction them sure.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #23
homegrown
hotshot

These hoons don't care bout they're cars. Which is why they flog the crap out of them. I don't think crushing them will have any impact on their behaviour.
I'd be devasted to know a classic car was crushed but the majority of owners of classic cars don't have the mentality of a 15 year old.
Old 14-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #24
BHDOGS
Banned

I see no problems with crushing peoples cars and if there stupid enough to do a runner and crash into a pole make the poles twice as thick so they dont walk away from it maybe an extreme view but if its your family thats killed by these idiots sure thats a long shot but not an impossibility you'd be glad they got rid of the car before that happened
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 11:03 PM   #25
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Greater Police presence - improve EVERYONES driving including all those people killing and getting killed that aren't 'hoons'!

You heard it here first, people other than 'hoons' kill and are killed on our roads!!!

EDIT: I forgot police cost money rather than simply generating it (cameras), seems numbers are not increased with the exception of cases where our international image is at stake (post more police at Springvale station because of Indians being assaulted).
stockel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #26
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all political bull crap from rhan, he has buggered the state but hey shift focus to the big bad hoon drivers (who would eqate to less than .000001 % of the states problems)

I am just glad i had the chance to live in the late 70's when muscle cars and boys and roads and together with a bit of radio , sunshine , beach , girls and laughter all combined and where all just had fun.

todays crap is just bull sheite for the kids and feel sorry for them
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #27
mntxr
Jamie is the name

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
all political bull crap from rhan, he has buggered the state but hey shift focus to the big bad hoon drivers (who would eqate to less than .000001 % of the states problems)

I am just glad i had the chance to live in the late 70's when muscle cars and boys and roads and together with a bit of radio , sunshine , beach , girls and laughter all combined and where all just had fun.

todays crap is just bull sheite for the kids and feel sorry for them

i agree and disagree look at me for instance my first car was a 157kw 4lt falcon and then went on to a 200kw ba falcon when my father was on his p's a 100kw car was the ducks nuts of all cars

but yes now there is no where to go to race or burnouts other than heathcote and winton and every car behind you when you drive and slip the wheels a slight amount is a hoon report but before people pay out on me i have been emotion touch by hoon behavior i lost a mate at chrismas last year because a dick hoon decided to go drifting down a main road and smash into my mates car and send my mate into a tree at 100kmph where he died and the phone call his parents recieved xmas morning was there son was dead from a hoon
Old 15-07-2009, 12:11 AM   #28
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntxr
i agree and disagree look at me for instance my first car was a 157kw 4lt falcon and then went on to a 200kw ba falcon when my father was on his p's a 100kw car was the ducks nuts of all cars

but yes now there is no where to go to race or burnouts other than heathcote and winton and every car behind you when you drive and slip the wheels a slight amount is a hoon report but before people pay out on me i have been emotion touch by hoon behavior i lost a mate at chrismas last year because a dick hoon decided to go drifting down a main road and smash into my mates car and send my mate into a tree at 100kmph where he died and the phone call his parents recieved xmas morning was there son was dead from a hoon
Mate that sucks, i saw evidence of where "hoons" had been the other night, going past Edinburgh RAAF base along west ave, i turned right to go down to heaslip road, there is a huge round about there, must be 50-60 meters across, there were skid marks going all the way round it where some moron had been practicing his drifting, managed 2 or 3 laps by the looks before failing. we do at least have one place to do that, malalla has regular drift comps and track days where you can get out there and have a thrash, Both my brother (HAMFIST) and Big Mike have been out there, costs $125 a day for 8 sessions of 15 minutes each, that is more than enough time to fry your brakes and destroy tyres, not to mention watch the less skilled write off a $80k HSV clubsport

20 year old japanese bloke had a big bowl of Fail crisps for breakfast and that was the result

But you can still have plenty of fun there, i copped camera duties that day : but hey here's some of the results

All is not lost!

oh and just to show what that commodore looked like 15 mins before the crash

Cheers
Dave

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 03:11 AM   #29
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrules
i saw evidence of where "hoons" had been the other night, going past Edinburgh RAAF base along west ave, i turned right to go down to heaslip road, there is a huge round about there, must be 50-60 meters across, there were skid marks going all the way round it where some moron had been practicing his drifting, managed 2 or 3 laps by the looks before failing
Oh dear god. you mean the massive roundabout in the middle of nowhere, where theres no people, buildings, anything except trees and some dirt? and several K's from the nearest house? Ok, theres some industrial buildings, but they're well away from any danger from someone playing on the roundabout.
I hope you got on to Adelaide Now and got them out there quick smart. That way they could put it in the paper for several weeks, hassling third-reich-mike to 'think of the children', in turn making the police 'clamp down' on anything that squeals its tyres.... Yeah, thats how these things come about.
Imagine if they saw the vid of Pat that you posted on here recently 'testing his linelocker' in your street.. absolute feild day.

As for laughing at the young guy that crashed his car at mallala, why are we laughing again? he was at the track, doing the right thing, and went over his limits.. hard lesson for him, no reason for us to laugh. Would we be laughing if it was Graham that crashed after pushing that l'il pulsar to hard? or mike had fail for breakfast instead of weetbix?

As for the cruise, its all well and good for the cops to say yep SMASA does things by the book and we'll leave you alone.. What about when you're out cruising by yourself.. Those of us that don't have "grandpa-tastic" cars with stock rims and sagged springs are nervous too...
Old 15-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #30
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
Oh dear god. you mean the massive roundabout in the middle of nowhere, where theres no people, buildings, anything except trees and some dirt? and several K's from the nearest house? Ok, theres some industrial buildings, but they're well away from any danger from someone playing on the roundabout.
I hope you got on to Adelaide Now and got them out there quick smart. That way they could put it in the paper for several weeks, hassling third-reich-mike to 'think of the children', in turn making the police 'clamp down' on anything that squeals its tyres.... Yeah, thats how these things come about.
Imagine if they saw the vid of Pat that you posted on here recently 'testing his linelocker' in your street.. absolute feild day.

As for laughing at the young guy that crashed his car at mallala, why are we laughing again? he was at the track, doing the right thing, and went over his limits.. hard lesson for him, no reason for us to laugh. Would we be laughing if it was Graham that crashed after pushing that l'il pulsar to hard? or mike had fail for breakfast instead of weetbix?

As for the cruise, its all well and good for the cops to say yep SMASA does things by the book and we'll leave you alone.. What about when you're out cruising by yourself.. Those of us that don't have "grandpa-tastic" cars with stock rims and sagged springs are nervous too...

Yeah that video won't see the light of day again, that's purely for a performance standpoint, Only me and a select few are able to enjoy his "stationary torque assessment". as for that roundabout, it would have been nice to see some military police from the RAAF base turn up with dogs and automatic rifles since its in the area and shoot holes in them, for all i know they could have happened on the same night as that lower light crap, as for the bloke at mallala, i wouldn't have been laughing if graham or mike had crashed cos i would have been walking home. i'm not saying we should be laughing at that guy, glad its not me with 80k worth of debt and a car thats nothing more than scrap, it's an example of when someone does the right thing and goes to track day, even if it goes A#$ up, at least emergency people were there and he had the right equipment on. adn no-one else was injured. as for telling adelaide now, yeah right!!!! i'm not giving those complete tools more ammo, just because they print large amounts of toilet paper. I'd have thought we'd learnt how useless they were after the whole photoshoot for the drive in night fiasco and all that was visible in that passport size picture was my headlight and that crusty old amber petty.

P.S. your description of mike rann is spot on :hihi: Third Reich Mike! classic

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post