Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Are 4×4 dual cabs family cars?

Hi all,

Looking at replacing the XR6T for a 4x4 dual cab (preferably a Ranger) to explore more of beautiful Tassie with my awesome little nephew an friends an their little ones.

I have always believed dual cabs arent really a family car but yet these days so many people have them for that. An the Ford dealership I work for sell more dual cabs to fsmilies thsn anything else.

Just after opinions I guess.

Please all advice ect welcome

[B]2000 AU2 Fairmont Wagon - Congo Green
Factory Smart Bullbar, Hayman Reese Heavy Duty 2300kg Towpack and Front and Rear Mudflaps.
zlcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Are 4×4 dual cabs family cars?

I swapped an FG XR6 Turbo ute for a dual cab XLT. I miss the Turbo occasionally. But the versatility of 4x4's these days really is good. And the Ranger is a great piece of kit. I took about 16 months to trade, but I don't regret it (other than that awesome feeling the Turbo gives you)

Also, fuel savings are pretty decent, the Turbo was averaging about 12L/100km, the Ranger averages 8.5L/100km. Not a massive difference, but my ute is never empty, has a canopy and roof racks, with and awning attached. Really is a big brick but still gives decent economy

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-03-2014, 11:54 PM   #3
Jackster
Starter Motor

We've got a bit of both, the wife's drive is a territory turbo ghia and I have a Navara dual cab. Even as nice as the TTG is to drive and ride in, we usually end up driving everywhere in the Navara because we are taking the dogs, going camping, towing the boat etc.
Jackster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 12:00 AM   #4
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
We've got a bit of both, the wife's drive is a territory turbo ghia and I have a Navara dual cab. Even as nice as the TTG is to drive and ride in, we usually end up driving everywhere in the Navara because we are taking the dogs, going camping, towing the boat etc.

I take it the Terry doesn't have a towbar then?

@zlcrazy

You can't go wrong with the Ranger, if you can live with the looks of the Mazda BT50, and 5-10 grand less, go Mazda.

If you want to go out of the fold, look at the Izuzu MU-X, or the (cough) Colorado

Old 04-03-2014, 12:05 AM   #5
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

If your Family fits.... then it's a Family car ! It more depends on what you and your Family like doing... or would like to do... if exploring the more off road areas, or towing a large boat/caravan/etc. is the go.. then there's plenty of 4x4 dual cabs around with a few "family" friendly features in them ! If that's what you want, then just go for it !

Dhru

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #6
wranger

XLT Ranger works perfectly as a family car.

Rides well, handles well, surprisingly quick for something that weighs 2.5 tonnes with accessories, full tank and 4 people on board.

Had a D4D Prado as a hire car recently in Tasmania, Ranger is equal or better in nearly every respect except unladen ride.
wranger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 12:44 AM   #7
dirtyclevo

my brother has a dual cab navara for his family and it seems to work fine,

the only thing i noticed is that they are still jacked up ute's. and made on a ladder frame chassis which i quite rigid.

they come in handy if you carry alot of stuff around. but be warned they are ******* slow. and unless your really into them you will feel like your in a jacked up people mover because you will probably not be allowed to take it off road.

my sister in law drives it sometimes and it worries me a bit, you cant see her over the dash when she drives.. little women and big 4wd's don't seem to match most of the time.

Last edited by dirtyclevo; 07-03-2014 at 08:58 PM.
dirtyclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 12:02 AM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

I have the XLT Ranger, It will definitely serve as a family vehicle quite easy.

Go test drive one, you will be amazed how good they are.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 01:03 AM   #9
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I just bought an Isuzu Dmax (dual cab ute) as I needed > 2 seats in the P250 (which I will sell shortly) to transport my new family. I also wanted a tow vehicle for large caravan.

Its early days yet as I haven't used the 1st tank of fuel yet which looks like returning 900 klms mostly city driving. The ride is a bit firm empty but should soften with a tow bar & bullbar added. Mine is the Terrain auto model so has all the creature comforts of a late model car with climate control, Satnav, reversing camera, high end sound system with steering wheel controls, leather and more. Its got 5 seats and still is a ute with 4 x 4.

I read in the NRMA mag that dual cab utes outsold SUV's in the latest stats and when your on the road they are everywhere
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 01:54 AM   #10
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had this conversation with the missus last night. She told me not to buy a Ranger because it's not family friendly. Her main concern was not having a boot.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 05:36 AM   #11
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Had this conversation with the missus last night. She told me not to buy a Ranger because it's not family friendly. Her main concern was not having a boot.
Take a drive of a new Jeep GC w/ 3L V6 diesel, 8 sp auto. My dad compared it to the Ranger, loves the Jeep way better, not just for comfort, but also the engine... The fully-loaded Jeep was also cheaper! But he also got two Rangers for his business. He has two diesel Jeeps and can't substantiate any of these reliability claims that the anti-Jeep mob always seem to provide on forums whenever the "J" word is mentioned.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #12
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Take a drive of a new Jeep GC w/ 3L V6 diesel, 8 sp auto. My dad compared it to the Ranger, loves the Jeep way better, not just for comfort, but also the engine... The fully-loaded Jeep was also cheaper! But he also got two Rangers for his business. He has two diesel Jeeps and can't substantiate any of these reliability claims that the anti-Jeep mob always seem to provide on forums whenever the "J" word is mentioned.
I am a Jeep fan. I used to have a Patriot that gave me no problems. But it wasn't very old.
300c I have now is a POS so it has sort of turned me away from that company now. Although I was considering taking a Gran Cherokee for a spin later this week to see how it goes.
I like the look of them, I like the kit you get for the price, but looking on product reviews website there are a lot of people with problems.
Hell of a lot more than people complaining about the Ranger.

I can get a decent discount on a Pajero through work. I really like the Pajero, I think it's one of the best vehicles in it's class. 5 year warranrty and 12 month service intervals is also a plus, but I keep coming back to the Ranger and trying to think of reasons why it's the one to get.
I carry mountain bikes sometimes so the Ranger would be perfect for that.
Missus says she doesn't want to carry shopping in the tray and is worried carrying things in the rain.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #13
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Turning circle? Not as huge a difference as one might think...certainly surprised us how nimble such a long vehicle is.
Triton twin cab: 12 mtr turning circle,
FG Falcon: 11 meters. Then again, we often found that the "effective turning circle" was larger with the G6E, as you had to be extremely careful of graunching the nose on kerbs of even fairly medium sloped gutters, so the "11 meters" might be a little conservative.

Servicing is about the same as the non-fixed price servicing on a Falcon as well, and consumables are roughly the same price.
Owning a four wheel drive isn't the massive extra cost impost it once was.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #14
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Turning circle? Not as huge a difference as one might think...certainly surprised us how nimble such a long vehicle is.
Triton twin cab: 12 mtr turning circle,
FG Falcon: 11 meters. Then again, we often found that the "effective turning circle" was larger with the G6E, as you had to be extremely careful of graunching the nose on kerbs of even fairly medium sloped gutters, so the "11 meters" might be a little conservative.

Servicing is about the same as the non-fixed price servicing on a Falcon as well, and consumables are roughly the same price.
Owning a four wheel drive isn't the massive extra cost impost it once was.
12.7m for the PX Ranger, so almost 2m more than a Falcon. Our FG is much easier to park than our PX Ranger. As I said the high bonnet makes it worse. My Dad has an ML Triton and the Ranger makes the Triton look much smaller when they are parked beside one another.

As for servicing, our XR6T is on average $100 per service cheaper than the Ranger.

Last edited by naddis01; 04-03-2014 at 01:48 PM.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #15
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Since everyone is pointing out all of the pros I will point out a couple of cons. The Ranger is a big bugger which the high bonnet accentuates. Combine that with a average turning circle (probably no worse than other 4x4's) and I can see some people having trouble parking it. I have had some interesting experiences in multistorey hotel carparks. It is also long with a tray. If your garage is small it may not fit well.

My wife wouldn't want one as her daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Has she seen the tray?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 07:46 AM   #16
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have a dual cab 4x4 triton with canopy on the back, and it's basically our family car / run around car.We take it to the kids sport, and if there's no parking, no stress! Mount a gutter, park it in the bush, on the side who cares haha... It's also awesome for going away, heaps of space in the canopy, don't even need to think about 'packing', we just throw everything in.

It's great for exploring off road areas too. And the best part, it's my wifes car so i still get to enjoy my GT!

We are just about to fit it with bulbar, winch, rear protection & tow ball, lift kit and bigger tyres for some more serious adventures. It makes a great family car, very versatile. Having said that, i'm not sure i could own one if the mrs didn't like driving it, and i was stuck with it as my daily! I'd miss having the grunt of the GT.
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #17
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

naddis is correct, they can be cumbersome to park, especially in tight hotel parking spots. To my wifes credit, she has learned to reverse park really well, and has learned to use her mirrors. We still regret not getting the reverse camera though, as it would really help out with knowing how much room is left at the rear.

My advice, get a reverse camera from factory, it would make life so much easier! Also, reverse park as much as possible as it's easier to get in/out.

The pros far out weigh the cons for us though.
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #18
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Yes they can be a family car. If you dont mind a slightly firm ride there is nothing wrong with running round in a dual cab as a family. They are not quite a comfortable as a sedan and child seats are not as easy to position but once its all set you have heaps of space and the freedom to go anywhere. In terms of parking our PJ Ranger is a hell of a lot easier to park than the FG ute was, also easier to see out of. The missus uses ours daily and although she is not really a fan of taking it to the shops because it is big she just parks a bit further away from people.

a 4x4 opens up a lot of options and a dual cab means you can take everything with you

- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #19
Hally

Gents can I chime in with a question.....

We have a diesel X-Trail, which is a great rig but we want a dual cab that we can pack up dogs and kids to go camping and tow a bit better etc. My question is basically on the Colorado. Everyone bags them but is a Ranger worth 8-10k more? Please take out the brand bias on this one.

Cheers,

Andrew
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #20
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally View Post
Gents can I chime in with a question.....

We have a diesel X-Trail, which is a great rig but we want a dual cab that we can pack up dogs and kids to go camping and tow a bit better etc. My question is basically on the Colorado. Everyone bags them but is a Ranger worth 8-10k more? Please take out the brand bias on this one.

Cheers,

Andrew
I found the PX Ranger is more comfortable & spacious in the back compared to the Triton , D Max, Colorado & Nissan which I looked at.

Colorado was my second choice, as they were good value on price when I looked 14 months ago.

I thought paying extra was worth buying the Ranger & have no regrets.

Last edited by Itsme; 04-03-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #21
XWGT