Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 11-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Default MP3 Wheel centre cap

Should you have the misfortune to lose the centre cap on an MP3 wheel for their Focus, there is a trick you need to know to get around the Ford Parts system.

I tried to simply order a centre cap for my Focus at the local Dealer.
1. First they tried to tell me you had to buy the entire wheel!
2. They agreed that was a bit ridiculous.
3. I showed them what the part looks like, including the part number on the back
4. They get in the wrong colour centre cap. "Mmmmm we'll have to get the part number from Ford."
5. 1 month later. "Still waiting for them to sort out part number"
6. 2 months later they said they think Ford has got the part number. I said let's order one please
7. 3 months later, it still hasn't arrived. "I'm waiting on Ford"
8. I ring Ford's "Customer Couldn't care less Centre" "We can't chase up parts orders...talk to your Dealer" "I have, he says the issue is with you not giving any information" "Talk to your Dealer"
9. 1 month later still no centre cap.
10. I have a brain wave. Go back to the Dealer "Can I order a centre cap for a Fiesta XR4 please" "But that's a different wheel" "No, it's the same wheel" Delivered by 10am the next morning.

So don't bother trying to order for a LR Focus. The system can't cope...just ask for the XR4 centre cap.

And they wonder why they're losing market share

Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

How only 3 months they've sped things up a bit lol
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Damn, that is pathetic..

But then again really what do you expect from Ford.

At least you finally got your cap though
Old 11-10-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Sorry to hear about the delays there Steve, but im either having a blonde moment or something. I have both rims MP3 7 spoke and XR4 and i must say the centre caps are very different. I know the ST170 caps are the same size as XR4 but not the MP3s.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
melbzetec

MP3 wheel on an XR4.
Was MP3 on option on XR4?
Anyway, the centre cap is exactly the same. Silver with blue ford emblem in the centre

aaaah! Just looked on the website. It's the optional 16" alloy on the Fiesta range (MP3). The XR4 wheel is different. I saw an XR4 in the local supermarket carpark with MP3 wheels which is what made me think of it. Even though mine are 17" MP3's the centre cap is the same as the 16".

We looked at the parts breakdown on the dealership computer and I ending up pointing to the MP3 Fiesta wheel

Not your blonde moment....mine.

But at least I got the bloody $16 plastic cap
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

Apparently, the owner of European Parts can get Genuine Ford parts, so you might want to try purchasing it through him next time.

You need to nag Ford on a daily basis to get what you want.
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Hmmm, I'm trying to work out how to "secure" my centre caps from the ST170 wheels as the caps are loose from wear and tear. I also noticed whilst taking them off to clean them that they're made in Italy.

Oh, you can borrow some of my "Just For Men" if you want, Steve.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #8
melbzetec

Very funny Eddie! : I think I owe you one for that :hihi:

Old 12-10-2008, 11:25 PM   #9
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got my MP3 center caps easy through Bayford Parts. Didn't have them in stock but had them in the next day my 12pm

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #10
melbzetec

Useless bloody President Ford again!

Old 14-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Only took me 1 minute to find them. They're not on the alloy wheel page, they're on the wheel covers page of the catalogue. Wasn't hard.