Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 17-08-2010, 11:54 PM   #1
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Can a 4wd/dirtbike/car spin its wheels on dirt without losing your licence.?

I've been thinking about this.

You take a 4WD down a dirt road, go up a track in a national park for fun, slide around, get bogged rev it heaps and come out of the mud sideways. All good. You wont lose your licence should there be a cop sitting there watching the goings on.

You take a dirt bike down a dirt road, go up a track in a national park for fun, do jumps, rev is heaps, spit dirt out the back from your spinning sideways wheel. All good. You wont lose your licence should there be a cop sitting there on his dirt bike watching your antics.

You take a car down a dirt road, turn down a track in a national park for fun, rev it a bit, get it a bit sideways. If there was a cop sitting there, would you lose your licence for 6 months and have your car confiscated? I think so. WHY is this the case? It sucks.

I feel I am a criminal if I want to have a little fun in a car, and yet 4wds and Dirt bikes can have all this fun without a problem!

Whats your thoughts?

Old 18-08-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
Eleanor

Are you saying you lost your license and had your car confiscated?

"Definitions
road includes any road, street, highway, lane, beaches, thoroughfare, track, footway, whether surveyed or unsurveyed, open to or used by the public."

4WD's and bikes don't "get to have all the fun" as you say. Your second and third paragraphs are a joke aren't they....

In Queensland at least (I don't know where you're from) it doesn't matter if you drive a 2WD passenger vehicle, 4WD, or motorbike, registered or unregistered, you still fall under the same rules and regulations in a National Park or State Forest as you do on any bitumened city road or country dirt road.

If you're avatar picture is anything to go by I can see why you got caught.

The police have every right to pull you up, fine you, anti-hoon laws you if you are driving like a **** (rooster) in a National Park.

These are the various acts that might provide you with further reading if you do some research:

"QPWS managed areas include the following areas:
• Protected areas (state land) under the Nature Conservation Act 1994.
• State forests and other lands managed under the Forestry Act 1959.
• Recreation Areas under the Recreation Areas Management Act 1988.
• Brisbane Forest Park under the Brisbane Forest Park Act 1977.
• Marine Parks under the Marine Parks Act 2004.
• Other areas where QPWS has control, trusteeship or otherwise manages the land."

"Relevant legislation
The use of vehicles in QPWS managed areas is subject to the following legislation:
• Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995 (TORUM)
• Transport Operations (Road Use Management- Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 1999 (regarding tyres, rims and wheels)
• Transport Operations (Road Use Management- Vehicle Registration) Regulation 1999 (regarding registration of vehicles)

• Transport Operations (Road Use Management- Road Rules) Regulation 1999 (regarding road rules)
• Nature Conservation (Protected Area Management) Regulation 2006, sections 112 to 120 (regarding vehicles in protected areas)
• Marine Parks Act 2004 (regarding habitat and shore bird disturbance)
• Recreation Areas Management Act 1988 (regarding the use of vehicles).

The TORUM applies to any road open to or used by the public. Therefore all road rules apply to any road on a QPWS managed area open to public use, regardless of whether it is gazetted or not."

My AU2
Old 18-08-2010, 04:07 AM   #3
Nate_Dog

i wouldn't risk it
Old 18-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

A dirt road is still a road.

A roads boundaries extend either side to a properties fence line.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Old 18-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor
4WD's and bikes don't "get to have all the fun" as you say. Your second and third paragraphs are a joke aren't they....
Well it is true, you take a forby or a dirt bike out in the bush or any of those sort of tracks and you can do all the jumping, climbing ect you want.
within reason i mean, if you're doing donuts in a mud patch and your mate spots a Police car coming down the track suffice to say that you would stop and act like you've stumbled across some strange circular patterns in the mud.
So really i guess its just "Dont get caught"
Old 18-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #6
Eleanor

Sorry but the OP wouldn't have a hope in hell of taking his vehicle down or up some of the bush 'tracks' we take the 4WDs or the bikes on. If he wants to have this sort of fun I'd suggest he is in the wrong type of vehicle.

My AU2
Old 18-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
I've been thinking about this...........
I feel I am a criminal if I want to have a little fun in a car, and yet 4wds and Dirt bikes can have all this fun without a problem!
Whats your thoughts?
Get a 4WD or a dirt bike and get over it!!
Old 18-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
1TUFFUTE
Banned

you have to be kiddn me. When ever im out ridn or 4wding and there are cops or rangers around...EVERYONE behaves perfevtly....nobody wants to attrack attention to their bike or truck that may or may not have its lights and mirrors on...or is a rust bucket truck with to large wheels. Things of this nature anyhow.....by the way dirt bikes and 4wds are designed to go hard offroad not cars......get a life
Old 18-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I won't post what I am thinking as it would involve personal abuse and would get me banned.
Old 18-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Settle. It's a question requiring an answer, which has happened. No need for the personal added extras.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Old 18-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #11
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
Settle. It's a question requiring an answer, which has happened. No need for the personal added extras.
Agreed.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Closed Thread