Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 23-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Default The Missus' Car

I've noticed a lot lately that most enthusiasts on here refer to small cars as "I'll get one for the missus" or "the missus wants one" in a proud, macho style. Naturally, the people that say this drive larger cars themselves.

I just wanted to say that I'm going to stir the pot a little and instead of putting my missus in a smaller car, I'm going to order a large car for my missus when we're finally married - a good old Aussie large car, be it a Falcon or a Territory perhaps. Not only to do my bit for the country and support the local economy, but because they're 5-Star cars, with excellent economy for a family car, plenty of boot and interior space, room for shopping and great for weekend trips away.

There's one other reason too. I've just ordered one of these as my daily driver...

I'll do 10 times more kilometres in peak hour while using far less fuel, drive inner city streets, find parking easier and have things like standard bluetooth and voice control for the business calls, room to cart the bike around after work more easily than in the back of a Falcon (for bike rides with friends on the other side of the city) and have more fun in the process. Then I can still enjoy the twisty roads on weekends in a real driver's car and lift up a cheeky inside rear tyre at the 4wd's and barges taking up the road as I outcorner them.

So it's big Aussie RWD safe and dependable for my wife, and a little, stylish and economical ripsnorter with a brilliant chassis for myself.

If only more Australians thought the way I did and bought large cars as a second car, it would surely keep pur families and kids safe more often while still keeping the best cars large in the world supported.

Somehow I think you're all missing out giving these things to your wives! :

Old 23-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
TadKa
Wait? What?

ahaha. Good for you. Looks Hot.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Got moved - mustn't have wanted to spark too much debate
Old 23-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Not a bad idea, actually to me it makes more sense, after all, why have all the space of a Falcodore for 1 person on the daily commute, while the wife has to make do with a a small car to lug all of the family/ shopping around. Good work, after all, there is nothing wrong with the new Fiesta.
Old 23-02-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

It's certainly a change in the way people normally perceive car ownership in this country.

Instead of fighting the daily drive with a large car, buy the large car you want, justify the safety pack/ESP additions as it is your family car and drive a small, $15-$20k hatch yourself to save fuel.

The environment wins, your hip pocket wins and most of all so does Manufacturing in Australia!

Natrually we can't all afford new cars, but the same concept applies across the used car world too.
Old 24-02-2009, 12:35 AM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Sorry but my ego doesnt work well when it comes to small cars...

Ill keep the XR6 ute, she can have the GT (cough splutter cough).
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 01:18 AM   #7
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Ha ha Brent, you know I'd still be in the Fiesta even if my second car was a GT.
Old 24-02-2009, 01:38 AM   #8
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went down the same path as you zetec my wife drives the family car and I got myself a pocket rocket

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Funny, Michael Taylor wrote a column in Motor magazine last year with a very similar attitude. He's one of my favourite columnists in the car mags, not afraid to throw his opinion around.

I nearly bought a smart ForTwo on this principle once... :
Old 24-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Id love a XR4, but I have to drop the son off two days a week at child care so its just not going to work. Well it could but it would be tight.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
bdesigns
Joy Ride

yeah, i rekon its really depends on your age and what your doing in life at that time. For me, the reason i chose the new fiesta was purely the fact that i need a small car to get me from A-B which is reliable, fun to drive, have some grunt if i wanted to, but still being fuel efficient. I go to uni, and i dont really have much time to work therefore it would be silly of me to get a v6 or wateva and end up spending heaps more on petrol.

However, obviously when i get older and i have a steady income, i wouldnt mind driving a bigger car.
bdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #12
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

All the car I need for me & the Mrs
<---
Easy on the gas
Fun to drive
Nippy in the city & car parks
Not too bad on the motorway & long drives
I'd like the new one, but the mortgage says no.
Old 25-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #13
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

I reckon its what you're used to / brought up with.
My brother and i used to pack into dads 68' beetle with sports bags and all on the way to and from school. Even if i had the money i don't reckon i'd buy a large car.... unless it was an Audi RS6 Wagon.... but thats a different story all together....
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I agree Jim. Certainly helps if you've been brought up on a diet of smaller cars. Many large car drivers JUST DON'T GET IT at all, they fail to see that small cars are not girls cars.
Old 25-02-2009, 09:51 PM   #15
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Got moved - mustn't have wanted to spark too much debate
I think you have a bit of a complex there zetec, if you like your car there is no need to justify it to anyone, is there?
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 11:55 PM   #16
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Not at all, not trying to justify my choice but challenge other people's choices.

Fact of the matter is we're on a predominantly Falcon forum, which is fantastic. But just trying to change perceptions and challenge some lateral thinking - prompting a debate that gets people doing more than taking small cars at face value like they normally are.

I say bring it on, get the discussion flowing, after all that's what the forum's all about. I knew that as soon as it was moved to the Fiesta thread that it would hardly even be seen, unlike if posted in the Pub where all the non-traditional small car drivers hang out.
Old 26-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #17
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Quote:
I've noticed a lot lately that most enthusiasts on here refer to small cars as "I'll get one for the missus" or "the missus wants one" in a proud, macho style...........
Given my gender and the fact I am married, I guess I fall under the "missus" category, but hell I bought mine myself- he can keep his stinky barge of a ute. Don't get me wrong, the note outta a V8 is sensational, and it has more welly, but this was my choice, my car and was my christmas present to myself-he was just along for the ride. It's funny how many times he asks if he can take "the go-kart"......

Most of my cars have been not large - in fact of the 5 cars I currenlt have, the biggest is a focus zetec. (ohh- actually the 1965 datsun 1200 ute may be longer, but it ain't wider that's for sure.... )

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #18
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Not at all, not trying to justify my choice but challenge other people's choices.
I dont need my choices challenged, this attitude sort of reminds me of the gay lobby, or the green's telling me what I should do and think.

If I thought a small car suited me I'd buy one, but it would be a golf or audi if it was for myself..not likely to happen though, unless they see fit to build a ute.
Old 26-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #19
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Fiesta is definatly more fun to drive than a Falcon in the city. Where I really think you would be mad to own a full size car. It's a capable highway car too but there a full size car has the edge as the final drive ratio in the Fiesta isn't so good for long highway trips, I think the diesel one would be ideal. What I wonder is IF Ford could supply all the Fiesta's to satisfy demand how many would they be seilling right now compared to the Falcon at the moment alot of customers are going elsewhere due to the epic delays you have if you want the Fiesta
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #20
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
I dont need my choices challenged, this attitude sort of reminds me of the gay lobby, or the green's telling me what I should do and think.

If I thought a small car suited me I'd buy one, but it would be a golf or audi if it was for myself..not likely to happen though, unless they see fit to build a ute.
It's a free country, the last thing anyone wants to do is begrudge you your democtratic right to buy whatever you want, including me. A golf or audi, ford or holden, small or large, no worries. Free country!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #21
Danny
GT4.

FANTASTIC Matt!!! I envy you!!

I love these! So so much! I would love one in addition to the Clio, 2 door Zetec with 17"s in that green colour (don't tell no-one though)!!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #22
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
By Nugget. "I dont need my choices challenged, this attitude sort of reminds me of the gay lobby, or the green's telling me what I should do and think."

So...............we should bugger the bush and shoot the poofters should we?

That was certainly the attitude 40 years ago before some of those ideas were "challenged".

Or is that still your view Nugget?
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #23
jenovax1
Starter Motor

Hey all. im not ashamed to admit it, i love the new fiesta. its a good looking car. it may not be the fastest but it would get me to work > bottle shop > womens house > home. who wouldn't want power ? if its cheap and sustainable, everyone would be driving v8's.

screw what other's say, as long as it makes me grin when my foot is down whilst cutting cost. Im all for it.

edit. btw - awesome zetec. for me, it's either squeeze or ocean

Last edited by jenovax1; 03-03-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: adding more !!
jenovax1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #24
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres quite a number of these at my local dealer. Even one with stickers all over it "New Fiesta" promotional ones. I think it must be the test drive vehicle. I had to collect the Mondeo and one in red was sitting next to mine. They look quite large for a small car. Very nice. Just don't like the rims it had. Don't ask what model, as I didn't look close enough.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #25
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
So...............we should bugger the bush and shoot the poofters should we?

That was certainly the attitude 40 years ago before some of those ideas were "challenged".

Or is that still your view Nugget?
Out of context much?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #26
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

"I dont need my choices challenged, this attitude sort of reminds me of the gay lobby, or the green's telling me what I should do and think."

Ummm......looks like a context to me
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #27
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

Got Nixon Nugget?
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #28
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

And the topic was ?
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #29
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Steve I didn't want to flame up the thread so I'm happy to let everyone have their opinion.

I'm also happy to drive my Ford Fiesta ZePreconceptionChallengingTec. It's economical, despite making me feel like a Gay Greenpeace lobbyist wearing hemp clothing.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #30
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd love a new Falcon XR8 ... trouble is I get peeved off enough just filling up the XR4!

Petrol nowadays is just too expensive, I would hate to try and run a 6 or 8 Cylinder these days, I just don't know how the blokes who own them do it?
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post