Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 17-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Help me decide Focus XR5 or CDTi

Hi Guys, this may sound odd but I'm tossing up between the XR5 and the TDCi. I don't need convincing about the new generation diesels as my son drives a Diesel Astra manual so I'm a big fan of the diesel, trouble is I'm also a big fan of GO! so need the pro's and con's of both, so who better to ask than the people who drive them!! (I'm also considering the 2 equivalent Astra's, and no I don't car if the badge is blue or red)

All opinions greatly appreciated,

Thanks

paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

TDCi is $10 - $12 kay cheaper, better economy, factory cruise control (Not an option on XR5).

XR5 - Faster, way better looking, better suspension, better resale, better colour options, more comfort.

It comes down to what you want, I'd go the XR5 if i had the choice..
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Hey mate... this may sound a bit odd comming from a FORD lover but if i was you id buy the Astra VXR, it looks HOT as and has plenty of go.

I love the XR5T because its the best small hot hatch turbo in the Ford line up. but if i was looking for something outside i would buy the Astra VXR asi think they look HOT. just their styling looks really nice.

But it depends on what you are after. because your trying to compare apples to oranges. The XR5T has plenty of go and is a great car, and is designed to go and handle. But the TDCI is designed for economy and luxury so to speak. sure it has plenty of torque, but it still doesnt have as much go as the XR5T.

so i suppose it comes down to what you like?, apple Juice or Orange Juice.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
BlackLS
yum

TDCi with a flash tune. From what I've researched, it brings acceleration almost to the level of the XR5T, with buckets of torque.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
raymon81

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
Hey mate... this may sound a bit odd comming from a FORD lover but if i was you id buy the Astra VXR, it looks HOT as and has plenty of go.

I love the XR5T because its the best small hot hatch turbo in the Ford line up. but if i was looking for something outside i would buy the Astra VXR asi think they look HOT. just their styling looks really nice.

But it depends on what you are after. because your trying to compare apples to oranges. The XR5T has plenty of go and is a great car, and is designed to go and handle. But the TDCI is designed for economy and luxury so to speak. sure it has plenty of torque, but it still doesnt have as much go as the XR5T.

so i suppose it comes down to what you like?, apple Juice or Orange Juice.
Yeh VXR is HOT but it's a 2 door. Plus its definately not worth $42-$43k i dont think.

My opinion, A Performance Blue XR5!
Lowered 30-35mm King springs, Custom leather interior, Polished standard 17s rims, Cadance monoblock amplifier and Alpine Type S sub woofer, clear reverse+fog+tail lights, Angel eyes and a few CHROMEEEEEE bits on my baby.
raymon81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
TDCi with a flash tune. From what I've researched, it brings acceleration almost to the level of the XR5T, with buckets of torque.
I'd back that one. I wasn't sure on the Focus TDCi, but I know most other diesel's get amazing performance from a flash tune.

For everyday driving that's fun (and legal) you want torque and acceleration. The diesel might just be a fantastic sleeper.

Personally, my heart says XR5T, but my head says the diesel
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I'm kinda confused as to why you're tossing up between those two, one is a performance car and one is an economy/comfort car.

Being an owner of a TDCi, it's a great car for what I use it for which is mainly motorway cruising. It's comfortable, economic and has heaps of easy to use grunt.

If you don't go on many long distance journies and can afford it buy the XR5.
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't the TCDi just a LX with a diesel engine? I would rather an XR5 because it does have good fuel economy if your not always heavy on the trottle.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 08:11 AM   #9
Mansal

TDCi hands down. As others have mentioned, plenty of low-end torque, flash-capable.

If you want the body kit you can always get the dealer to retrofit a Zetec bodykit or something!

Seriously, one datapoint is that you lose some boot space with the XR5 due to the reconfigured suspension. Plenty useful if you ever have to haul a carload of stuff (I squeezed a station's load of DJ gear into my TDCi, not only did I manage to fit it all, the engine 'barely noticed' the load). Also I've had 5 beefy blokes in the car the engine did not struggle at all.

So from a versatility point of view this may be a point to consider, maybe not.
Mansal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 09:05 AM   #10
bman

XR5 - if you by the other, everytime you look at an XR5 - you will wish you had one. BUY THE BEST!!

- 17 x Ford Falcon XT BF - Within my Fleet -
- 4 x Ford Falcon XR6 BF - Within my Fleet -
- 110 x Mitsubishi Express - Within my Fleet -
- 2 x Hyundai iLoad - Within my Fleet -
bman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #11
Matt RS2000

I have to agree with bman. Every time an XR5 goes sailing past you, you'll wish you bought one. Although every time you have to fill it up with 98RON you'll wish you bought the TDCi and still had 1/2 a tank left!! IMO XR5!!
Matt RS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 03:14 PM   #12
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

hummmm, great feedback, thanks guys. I haven’t driven the Focus Diesel yet but would be disappointed if it wasn't (almost) as quick as the XR5, my sons Astra has run a 14.8 (with the traction control on) so I'm hoping the Focus is at least as good, if it isn't than the decision just got a lot easier.
Old 18-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #13
zetec
Zoom Zoom

The Focus Diesel GOes like absolute stink, it's seriously rapid and very economical. Drive one first, but I'd suggest a TDCi with a set of 18" alloys, Zetec bodykit and you're laughing.
Old 18-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #14
jweb
radio off =save petrol :P

thats hard depends what you want,performance and looks?,or economy?.Mind you from what i have heard the Tdci is very zippy.Go the TDCI i say and do little bit of tuning :
Old 18-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #15
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I've got a Zetec bodykit on mine, just need some bigger alloys and tints and I'll be set

Just got home now from giving it some full throttle (never done it before) and boy does the engine have some balls; the traction control light was on pretty much all through first and halfway through second.

I've just been driving it gently and using the torque in the higher gears, but as I just discovered it doesn't mind revving either. It does this all while being kind to the environment and slowly sipping diesel

It won't be as quick as the XR5 off the mark but it'll be pretty close mid-gear acceleration.
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #16
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Diesel Power

That link gives these figures for the Focus TDCI.
Standard 103 kW 320 Nm
Diesel Power 123 kW 384 Nm

Cost isnt given, but most of their kits range from $900 to $1500 Australian dollars.

That certainly wouldnt make it slow... and like most flash tuners, when you are not belting it, it would probably give you better fuel economy to boot.

Also from that link is the 2.2 litre TDCI.. wish the mondeo would come with this:
Standard 114 kW 380 Nm
Diesel Power 136 kW 456 Nm

And for the 2.0 litre passat... (the newer diesel)
Standard 125 kW 350 Nm
Diesel Power 150 kW 420 Nm

Thats serious Grunt!
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 11:20 PM   #17
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thought i'd throw in my 2c worth!

My occupation allow's me to be spoilt with these things. Having spent a little time in each between my usual transport. The XR5 is a fantastic car, punchy, well fitted out, looks great, however the torque steer did my head in! 3rd gear onwards is fantastic but 1st and 2nd under accelaration were annoying!

The Diesel however was mindblowing! stuff kw give me the torque! this thing is as mentioned before a real sleeper! Its smooth, power is delivered evenly throughout the gears and it just wants to GO!! Sure a slight suspension mod and flash would do wonders, but the standard package was amazing, much better than i thought it would ever be! The one i was in for a couple of weeks was brand new and averaged 6.0ltrs, and i wasnt driving for economy!

With the mods, body kit and a new set of alloys you would still save on an XR5 and have a better "everyday" car! Resale??? really depends on how long you want to keep it!!! Deisel is getting more accepted as the new car sales figures show, will filter down to the used car market in time!

Anyway, im sure the debate will flourish on both sides, either way, they are both great cars and sensational value for money! enjoy whichever you choose!
phoonfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 01:49 AM   #18
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoonfan
thought i'd throw in my 2c worth!

My occupation allow's me to be spoilt with these things. Having spent a little time in each between my usual transport. The XR5 is a fantastic car, punchy, well fitted out, looks great, however the torque steer did my head in! 3rd gear onwards is fantastic but 1st and 2nd under accelaration were annoying!

The Diesel however was mindblowing! stuff kw give me the torque! this thing is as mentioned before a real sleeper! Its smooth, power is delivered evenly throughout the gears and it just wants to GO!! Sure a slight suspension mod and flash would do wonders, but the standard package was amazing, much better than i thought it would ever be! The one i was in for a couple of weeks was brand new and averaged 6.0ltrs, and i wasnt driving for economy!

With the mods, body kit and a new set of alloys you would still save on an XR5 and have a better "everyday" car! Resale??? really depends on how long you want to keep it!!! Deisel is getting more accepted as the new car sales figures show, will filter down to the used car market in time!

Anyway, im sure the debate will flourish on both sides, either way, they are both great cars and sensational value for money! enjoy whichever you choose!
Thanks, that’s valuable feedback.
The XR5 really is a great package, as good as the new diesels are I'm leaning towards the XR5, I'm gunna be stuck in it for at least 2 hours a day and reading through the spec sheet its just such a very good all round tool! The way I look at it, I doubt I'll ever see a CDTi and say "gee I wish I bought that" but if I did I know I'd see an XR5 and say "gee I wish I'd bought one of them". I'll drive em both and decide, might even bring my son along to drive the diesel and get his view as he is a sales rep and spends all day in his astra so will be able to give me some good feedback also.
Old 20-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #19
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another tick for the tdci although if given the choice and cash was no object I would go the xr5 turbo with the leather recaros, the seats in the tdci are the achilles heal of the car.

This response was very positve from diesel power (above link)

Yes we have had the tuner for the Focus for quite some time as it has been available in Europe for a while.
Price is $990 incl free freight and it just plugs in, no other mods necessary.
Expect approx 20% gain in power and torque with better fuel economy.
Regards Reece
Diesel power Australia
Old 20-09-2007, 08:52 PM   #20
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats very interesting Davocol. Might be a good option for the diesel lovers amongst us...
The price including delivery is lineball with what the guys in the UK are paying...!
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 11:12 PM   #21
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bargain I reckon, who is going to take the plunge first?
Old 21-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #22
gunbound
Starter Motor

Based on what I've been reading here I'd definitely pick the XR5, plus it looks a lot more better!
gunbound is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 11:53 PM   #23
wadesc
Starter Motor

Well put it this way
You can either be:

A) The gay couple with ugly dogs in the Turbo Diesel

OR

B) The Hot young guy/gal in the XR5T

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...1024&c=DFYPage

Take your pick? :P
wadesc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #24
NO2
Old Man

I am enjoying owning a diesel focus. Quick off the mark, great torque for overtaking and can amble round town at low speeeds in 3 or 4th gear and still stretch out to 60km effortlessly.
Gotta agree that the seats could be better.
The CL 2004 we have still solid after 3 years and some mileage done on dirt roads. No squeeks or rattles. Hopefully the build quality is as good on the South African model.
NO2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #25
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO2
I am enjoying owning a diesel focus. Quick off the mark, great torque for overtaking and can amble round town at low speeeds in 3 or 4th gear and still stretch out to 60km effortlessly.
Gotta agree that the seats could be better.
The CL 2004 we have still solid after 3 years and some mileage done on dirt roads. No squeeks or rattles. Hopefully the build quality is as good on the South African model.
Cough.......

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 11:02 PM   #26
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

A couple of things to consider is, if you do a lot of country driving like me.
The lack of cruise control in the XR5 would turn me off, also the fact that the XR5 runs on RON98 (or at least I thinks it does) which can be hard to get a hold of in more remote areas.