View Single Post
Old 16-06-2020, 11:46 AM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: 2012 MC Mondeo 2.0L Ecoboost Titanium – Cylinder Issue, Advice Sought

Quote:
This is a very rookie question, is the cylinder not firing because the ECU has turned it off, given that the coil and spark plug appeared to work ok in a different cylinder? I figured that even with a compression issue that it would still generate some force when the fuel ignited, but in this case it appears that there is no activity in the cylinder at all which I find confusing.
If there has been oil starvation a valve (or valves) on cylinder two may have been damaged or even dropped and the ECU may be able to detect that directly or indirectly (i.e cylinder 2's Knock Sensor) and cut off the fuel and or ignition to that cylinder. Ditto with seized ring(s) on cylinder 2; the knock sensor would detect it.

You might this recent Allan Howatt video interesting. While it's a diesel engine (albeit incidently also a Mondeo) it shows how oil starvation can impact one cylinder more than others. This ones is also relevant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCotRrU475M

Last edited by aussiblue; 16-06-2020 at 11:59 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: