View Single Post
Old 10-08-2020, 07:48 AM   #54
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Will there be a reversal in the use of touchscreens in cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Fair enough

Tesla’s also require you to open the glove box through the screen? Why? I’ve never met anyone who has said “this glove box is really simple, if only it was more complicated and fiddley”

Technology waa supposed to make our lives easier not making simple tasks more complicated
Glove box and hazard lights are physical buttons as per legal requirements at the time for model S. I believe hazards are now the only physical button requirement with model 3. Less buttons to fail really though it's run by a motor so go figure.

The doors aren't mechanical either. They are run by wire with mechanical overrides. I love the push button door opening rather than searching for a latch. And in the model Y, the doors open and close by themselves which is nice. As someone who loves technology, I find it trick.

The Mustang and Merc we have, for example, has so many options on the steering wheel that my older parents struggle with (Heck, I do to as the cruise control is on a different side in some of the cars that further confuses). They love that there are only a couple of buttons on the Tesla. Much cleaner controls. The Falcons had nice and clear/simple controls on the steering as well. I've never used any of the buttons on the Everest and Falcon except for the temperature up or down. The rest are redundant.

I find it easier having everything in the touchscreen and voice driven. I hate buttons in a cabin. Keep it clean.

Last edited by kypez; 10-08-2020 at 08:03 AM.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote