View Single Post
Old 15-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #132
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Funny timing this thread popping up.

I started a new job in IT about a month ago and have not been going well. I hate IT work but applied for the job because I was unemployed and because I have just always done IT work.

The job is stressful and the commute is long meaning I am out of the house over 12 hours out of the day. My fitness has gone downhill and I have put on weight. Just last night I woke up at midnight and had a full-blown panic attack because I had to be up at 5.30am and knew I wouldn't be rested enough for the day ahead. I had to call in sick today.

I have had depression in the past but have not been this low in years, if ever.

I am considering quitting this job and going back to studying (haven't done any study in 10 years). However I'm apprehensive about the black mark this would leave on my employment history and also about trying to find a part-time job to support my studies at almost 30 years old. I can't live like this though.
That's a tough situation to be in mate, so I hope you don't feel guilty about your issues. I am going through something similar at the moment - I was unhappy with my previous employer and management, so have jumped ship to a different division (I work at a major university with over 10,000 employees) that is even more dysfunctional, unproductive and cliquey than where I worked previously. The job itself is so incredibly boring and below my skill level that I essentially twiddle my thumbs for the whole day and it's a real struggle. As much as I'd love to bail out, I need the money and I feel like even the worst job would be less stressful than being homeless/unemployed.

The way I cope with these sort of situations is to write down a list of the pros and cons on a piece of paper that allows you to really clarify where you stand on the job rather than focusing on all the negatives. Another tool that many therapists recommend is for you to write down three things you are thankful for every day.

Research also shows that exercise is one of the best ways to reduce stress, depression and bolster overall physical and mental wellbeing. On your days off, do you have time to smash out a workout at the gym? It might help improve your fitness and shift a few of those kilos you have put on, and also help clear your head. I am not a fitness freak by any means but go to the gym every single day, even if it's just for a bit of a light cardio workout, and this is extremely beneficial for my mental wellbeing, and helps to protect me against the stress I deal with. It also keeps me motivated to look (and apply for) new jobs so I can leave the one I'm in!

I hope that helps?