View Single Post
Old 25-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #41
REDDYZ

Default Re: Just bought a Eibach. Should I join the RAC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnd1
Since then I had Pedders go through my suspension and would you believe it....there's next to nothing wrong! L/H Boot (CV) torn, Sway bar bushes worn and that's it...

Alana had her car checked by another Pedders dealership and was told that she needs new strut hats and bearings, rear trailing arm (and) bushes, front bearing hubs. I am going to have her car checked at my Pedders place and have all the work done there so that we get to know more about the Cougar Eibach's.

This is a photo of my strut hat/cap or whatever you call it. They are not sure how much of a gap should be between the hat and the body. Anyone have any idea. Arrow, where did you get the Eibach struts etc from?

More parts here http://www.abloodyparaplegic.com/ford_cougar_parts.htm if you could have a look and comment it would be appreciated.

Cheers
John
A Bloody Paraplegic
Strut hats are not wear and tear items. Only when you replace them is when they break into two or crack. That gap is normal. The reason you see that gap is because Eibachs has lower suspension and use small profile springs. When you jack up the car and let wheels hang down, you wont see that gap and when you put weight in the car that gap will increase. When you take those hats off, you will notice that they are not rubber but metal plates. They have to be on special order from Ford, I dont think anyone else would sell them. That gap is normal and like I said dont change them unless they break or crack.

Whats wrong with the struts? why do you want to replace them? Just replace strut bearings if they are faulty and should fix the problem. Replace front and rear sway bar links and you will have better suspension feel.

Its a common mistake most of the mechanics make while judging rear trailing arms on Cougars. Unless the trailing arm bushes are cracked and broken you dont need to change them. And the car has to do more than 500,000kms for them to break. They feel soft and twisty when you check them and mechanics think that they are sagged and worn. Thats the way they are. If you have to replace the trailing arms you have to replace the hub too. Trailing arm bush is part of the hub. I had few suspension issues before and bought the rear trailing arm bushes and later found that they are part of the hub and they cant be pressed out to replace with new ones. So a set of bushes are sitting in my inventory for no use.

You dont need to replace the whole hub if bearings are worn. Only bearings alone can be replaced.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote