View Single Post
Old 31-07-2020, 06:36 PM   #14
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: I miss the falcon

Hey PHATAL, I really miss the Falcon too. And the Territory.

There's a bit of a bright side currently, there are still low km FGX, FG2 and SZII in yards, maybe put one away for your son, when he gets to driving age?

We were lucky enough to be able to buy (cash lol) one new Territory, in 2007. It was AWD SR, first of the black trim, and since we did a special factory order (extras like 6 airbags, premium sound, power pedals etc) we had the excitement of waiting for our special factory order Aussie Ford to arrive. For a petrol inline 6 AWD SUV that handles, to replace it, for mine it's a Jag F-Pace at twice the price. We still have the Territory, and I'd keep it for when the Euro is in getting repairs ha. If ONLY Ford did an AWD petrol I6 right through to 2016...

As for driving with your son, just wait. Our son started with a manual ED XR8 Sprint - he wanted to learn manual and that was the only manual we had, so be it, 5L V8 and a cracker of a Windsor at that. His mates were very jealous, as were rellies from the UK car culture that drove it. On one occasion, he turned into a gravel side road off a winding, sloping country road a little too late and fast, the Sprint's tail slid out, and he absolutely naturally corrected the slide as if by instinct. The car came to a halt, in control. He was a bit rattled, but he'd saved us. Most of his learning was far less dramatic and a mix of country, town, gravel, sealed, day, night etc. Learning the gears, watching him get more coordination and quicker changes was satisfying. Once we came to a stop on a sweeping corner at midnight, completely surrounded by a mob of roos. That was pretty special.

When time for his own car came, he bought a 2011 Limited Edition FG XR6 auto. The premium interior, the ride on 18's, the ZF, the comfort was even better than the Terry! What's more, a number of his mates have swapped their first cars for FGs. The XR6 is a really, really nice car.

Good luck with the ZG. We got to save an XW, which for a long time was stored away from us, but was shipped over just before all this stuff started.

Yep they made good cars that everyday Australians could afford. I miss them.