View Single Post
Old 15-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #72
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
"Only 500HP stock"? So what have you done to get that?

"Big plans and a smaller budget"? Sorry, but you have to get real. You don't get anything for nothing.

"Strokering and crate motors"? Funny word "strokering" ... you actually sound a bit like a Holden bogan and maybe you are one person who could actually get away with a crate LS engine in your XR8. At least your Holden mates will still talk to you.

Now seriously ... the crate motors are not that good. They have nowhere near the longevity or reliability of the little Windsor. Your 5.0 litre, built up properly, will put out a reliable 300kW all day every day and will continue to do it for at least 500,000 km years if you look after it properly. The LS engine WILL NOT. And if you want more you can get easy reliable 350kW with a stroker kit - all it takes is about 20 big ones.

Yes, the LX might seem to "fly" compared to your XR8 but you must realise that it only does it in a straight line and only because it is about 250kg lighter. Start throwing some corners and braking into the mix and the XR8 will drive away from the LX regardless of the weight issue. Point to point on aussie roads I know which I'd rather be driving.

And don't let me start on the "crash test" - an LX will be turned to sardine can standard recyclable material with even a fairly minor shunt. I have been unfortunate enough to have been in two quite serious collisions in AUs and I know where I'd rather be sitting in a worse case event.
This man knows his stuff.

If you want a nose heavy pig that is only good for straight lines go a 5.4. If you have deep pockets and are 3/4 crazy go a 4.6 like CAT600. If you want to go a tries and tested route and have a bit of dosh and know someone who is known to be able to build a Windsor then go the 347.

If you want something a little different then may I suggest a low comp blown 331 stroker.

For the costs and hassle involved in getting an LS engine into the AU I personally would go the blown 331.

On another note some of the posts in here that are basically just waste of bandwidth rubbish disappoint me. Some here really need to have a little think and grow up. Abusing a bloke just because he has a different idea to the norm is not what car modding is about IMO. If it weren't for the guys that ask the questions and try something different we'd all be driving white Camry's and nothing would ever change.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote