View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 01:45 AM   #8
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: KIA - Would you buy one?

This has been my experience. I met my wife in 2007 and she had a 2002 Hyundai Sonata. At the time, that 5 year old car still drew a lot of attention, because people often mistook it for a Jaguar S-Type. It aged well, there were no squeaks, rattles or anything they showed it was aging. The interior was better than just about any non premium brand too. Plush velour seats, that you don’t really see anymore. Anyway, we kept that car until last year, it had over 190,000 miles (300,000kms). All it needed during that time were rear shocks, two routine timing belt changes, an alternator, and I think an AC leak. The steering still felt tight. The transmission felt tight, no slipping or anything. No exhaust leak. No oil leaks. I was impressed. My niece has the car now for commuting to university. As far as I know, still going strong. I mention this on the Kia thread because it shared the same chassis and power train as the Optima V6 from the same year.

In 2015, I was looking for work and I had just got my MBA. At the time, I was hopeful to get a job with Chrysler corporate. While I was waiting, I went down to the local dealer to see if I could sell cars for the interim and get to know Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram products. They offered me a job, but it was at their Kia dealer. I was a little disappointed because I wasn’t passionate about them. Anyway, I worked there for about a year. The Sorento has just gotten a new body style, which I loved. The Optima turbo was popular and fun to drive. I also quickly grew to love the Sedona (Carnival) which I could see was best in class. It had the best interior and amazing chassis dynamics for a van, with IRS. I was shocked to learn all over vans in the class except the Odyssey had a torsion rear axle. I also loved the value proposition. A class competitive vehicle at a competitive price, amazing warranty, and the cars had incredible styling. Since the same family owned a Toyota and CJDR seamer, it was easy to offer an objective opinion when showing people these cars. I told my customers I would probably buy one when the time was right for us.

In 2017, long after I quit working there. We bought a certified used 2016 Sorento V6 with 23,000 miles. 7 seat, leather, dual zone climate, with the balance of the full 10-year warranty. We got it for $25,000 even, which included taxes and extended warranty (making it a 10 year bumper to bumper). We still have it. It has 78,000 miles (125,000km) now. Only ever had one issue. When we drove to California it felt like unstable throttling taking off at the lights. The problem went away when we got back to Utah. I suspect it was just from. Using 85 octane fuel (which is fine at higher elevation with thinner air, but not at sea level). I think if I ran 89 there it wouldn’t have happened.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I can’t say enough good things about them. I think it’s good to be objective. At the end of the day, buy what makes you happy. But there is no objective reason to avoid Kias or Hyundais. People used to joke about them being “throw away vehicles,” but they are the ones who can’t do anything on the weekend with you because they are busy working on fixing their Ford/Holden/Chevy etc... I have driven the Stinger, and it’s an amazing car.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: