View Single Post
Old 30-07-2020, 01:29 PM   #28
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default Re: Sometimes I envy my Dad

I think its pretty sad that a thread started up by one to be proud of his Father or Mother it no matter ends up being a debate of social issues/lessons learnt as time goes by.
I'm trying to have an open mind ont his topic for it is a bloody good one.
Hey I put my hand up, I've been guilty of just the same mind set, oh it was better back you know when - isn't that a natural trait amongst us all and in the future each decade.
What wrong were done in the past, will be done again in future gens as well.
Whats old is new again as they say.
People kept their opinions to themselves back then, now its open slather, wonder when the change will come again for it will.
One thing I keep being reminded by Mum, you learn something everyday.
I keep trying in doing so, listen to people pov's, especially being I have a range with my kids.
27yrs boy/well man now.
20yrs boy/young man.
15yrs daughter/omg what I'm learning here lol.....
Another good saying is comparing apples with apples.
Well each gen sure isn't that is it.
I've been guilty being a arrogant ignorant bloke - much like my hard working Father has been.
I appreciate every single thing that ol man has done for his family of 3kids (us) but you know what ? I feel sorry listening to my ol man today, infact for the last number of years.
I'm trying hard NOT to be like him, negative, criticising, we didn't do that back in the day etcetcetc......conversations have been very challenging for a number of years.
Yes its hard for a leopard to change its spots, sure he's getting on @ 88yrs but for such an intelligent person it staggers me he could have adjusted a little the last 15yrs IF he tried a little getting a grasp of today instead of bitching away about today and he'd be seeing his gran kids with better understanding what its like today for them - your days keep ticking off fast.
So in closing - I sure love my Dad heaps but I don't envy him in his old age - I'm sorry he hasn't realised after all his sacrifice working (similar to the original posters post) he doesn't know how to smell the rose's - alot of the ol skool are just like him.
I'm trying hard not to be like that and I thank my kids for this, IF I don't change some to be able to interact with them, especially a 15yr old daughter whereas Im 60 shortly.
My past was wonderful, no responsibilties etcetc but its gone/over, whats important is today and ahead - mixed with some ol skool good traits/lessons and blended with the now influenced in our kids.
The rest will be up to them.
I wonder what my kids will say when I'm long gone.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote
7 users like this post: