View Single Post
Old 15-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #45
John 13

Default Re: Current review of TAFE system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
Do I trust the Morrison Government to do this right? - absolutely not

Some of you think TAFE is **** now, just wait until they get their hands on it
It's time I told a bit more, this has taken off more than I expected.
Already it has been indicated that this gov't favours more involvement of private training providers. Colleges have a responsibility (under national training standards) to monitor the progressive on the job development of the apprentice, log books - site visits etc. How effectively this is done and what if things are not as they should be is always the question, ticks and signatures ? It would be rare for a college, particularly a private provider, to turn an employer away.
In this state colleges may be audited by "independent" auditors which can result in an impact on their funding. The funding process is different for TAFE and private providers. Some private providers frequently use FIFO trades persons as part time lecturers on their swing shift. TAFE is also using more part time lecturers. It appears that the main issue for the apprentices is "will this be in the test ?" It is not unusual for assessment material only to be specifically taught.
When my job was to visit workplaces essentially dealing with the contractual arrangement between the employer and the apprentice, the range of on the job trade relevant experience varied from one extreme to the other. It invariably related to the employers size and scope of business. Yet at the end of the day all graduating apprentices were equal.
This is one of my points and it highlights a failure in the traditional apprenticeship system. Incidentally while, with the best intention, group training schemes were introduced, it would be rare for any employer to voluntarily let a good working apprentice move on.
John 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: