View Single Post
Old 08-08-2020, 01:41 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Psychos in the Auto-Repair Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Wouldn't it be wonderful if the industry was blitzed with random under cover operatives checking what is done, how quotes were laid out, if quoted actual work was done etc.

A bunch of hidden cameras, workshops chosen at random etc.

Any industry knows to behave when they have the the threat of large fines / closure etc if they get caught out.

I know the issue with this thread isn't exactly the same as people getting ripped off for work done but yes the industry is full of cowboys that go unchecked.
Its an unregulated industry that pays peanuts for hard work, particularly light vehicle, you've got a very expensive business model of a workshop and fees on all your diagnostic equipment and on the other hand no one wants to pay for anything.

The industry recently got the ****s up over the government looking to end the visa scams going on about importing foreign mechanics complaining about the 'skills shortage' - there's a skills shortage because you spend 4 years getting paid SFA during your apprenticeship then end up getting less per hour than someone who stacks the shelves at IGA qualified while putting up with terrible employment conditions.

This article is case in point - this is an excerpt from a prominent automotive aftermarket publication about holding onto their staff:

You're just looking at implementing that NOW? You should have been doing that from the start

Light vehicle automotive sucks as the employee and the customer.

I get paid more sitting behind a desk in an air conditioned office with a computer than I ever did fixing cars.

These issues are compounded by highly aggressive suppliers who are part of the aftermarket supply chain who leave nothing in it for the workshop, or they'll sell direct to your customer over the counter.

Then also manufacturers in Australia have no legal responsibility to supply diagnostic information to the independents repairers unlike in the USA where they have to.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 08-08-2020 at 01:54 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: