View Single Post
Old 22-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #23
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear75 View Post
Oils aint oils......

I'm almost due to do an intermediate service on my MC TDCi wagon and have hit this quandary of oils. Up till now I've always used Penrite oils in my diesels (usually HPR Diesel 5) and my chosen mechanic uses only Penrite oils as well.

The Penrite lube selector points me to HPR D5 but also says its not suitable for DPF's. That would then suggest the ENVIRO+ oil at much $$$ and no M2C913-D rating.

I'm considering Nulon 5W-30 http://www.nulon.com.au/images/files...B-SYND5W30.pdf as it seems to tick all the boxes and is readily available (and on sale this weekend at Supercheap). Doesnt have M2C913-D rating though...

As I plan to do an oil and filter change every 7,500km (or about every 2 months), does anyone think this will be an issue?

The wagon is a 2012 approaching 142,500km so not in any warranty period.

By the way, the Nulon recommended oil (Full Synthetic 5W-30 Fuel Efficient Engine Oil) has the M2C913-D rating but a warning not to use with DPF's
Welcome to the wacky world of oils for Mondeo diesels. Firstly, I'd suggest saving your money and sticking with 15,000 km oil change intervals. You're obviously doing a high mileage, so there is no reason to change it more frequently. The service interval in Europe is 20,000 km - Ford AU decided in their wisdom to make it the same as the Falcon.

As the Mondeo diesel has a Peugeot engine, I follow their recommendation and use a Total oil - Quartz Ineo ECS, which meets Peugeot requirements. It's a mid-SAPS oil meeting ACEA C2.

The Nulon oil is a C3 oil, which may provide better engine protection but will increase fuel consumption slightly compared to C2 or the Ford spec oil.

I doubt that it really matters which oil you use, but safest to use a C2 oil if you're concerned about DPF failure. Penrite make one, but I'm not sure about Nulon.

30% off Penrite at Repco in NZ this weekend.