Thread: Covid 19 -
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #4982
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I'm not sure where you got your numbers for Sweden but the 7 day rolling average is still over 300 cases per day. Let's put that in perspective. It's a country with about 40% the population of Australia but with a rolling average that is 60% of even this terrible week we've been having. They have also had 5x as many cases as Australia and 27x as many deaths.

To make the comparison easier let's look at the numbers per 100k of population where Sweden has 802 cases / 100k and we have 70 / 100k so that more than 10x as many in Sweden.

Likewise, Sweden has 57 deaths per 100k of population and we have 0.8 / 100k for an even starker 71x more.

You want to call that a success?

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/sweden/
I did not actually put any figures in, but

- Rolling 7 day on infections has been under 250 for 2 weeks

I intentionally did not compare it to Australia - as much as you guys are excited (obviously excluding all who choose - most of the readers?) - Australia does not have CoronaVirus ... yet !

The county that I am in, in GA/USA has had 2/3 the cases that our entire homeland has, and almost the same number of deaths. - 1 US county!

Australia is in early days.

I actually did not call Sweden a Success, rather, I am interested in its figures.

If we do not get a vaccine, then the virus will impact everyone until it does not have enough new victims to properly survive, it would no longer be able to spread.

Large scale lockdowns, wearing of masks, in general, will push out that date but not do much to decrease the total number of infected.
Of course the hope in pushing out the date, is that treatment will improve, hospitals will not overflow and we might get a vaccine.

Here is why I find Sweden interesting !

They are, apparently, past it ... virtually, and with minimal lockdowns, so less likelihood of a "second wave".

I suggest perhaps the most interesting case per population rate is Sweden's ... because that is where we all might stop (I say might because there are other factors that may lead to variation in case/pop rates).

If this is so then 8,000/million may be a magic number.
(Although Cases/Million go well past 25,000 in some countries)

Also it is interesting because the decrease in cases belies the claim that many will get it a second time.

South Korea is also a very interesting case (280/million - but with strict lockdown), as is NewYork(1686/million- but with manic stupidity), all are apparently past the worst.

I would love to see another country that used a similar approach to Sweden - to compare

You guys may not find that interesting, and that is OK

Note: I wear a mask and isolate - because I want to outstubborn this sucker.
4 users like this post: