View Single Post
Old 22-08-2023, 02:26 PM   #25
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Queensland Nabs More Low Level than High Level Lead Foots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Just because the speed limit says 100km/h it doesn't mean you'll average 100km/h on an interstate trip, or that I was doing 106km/h.
Thanks for pointing that out. Would never have known that otherwise

I don't get the argument though. If you'd averaged 150km/h across that same trip, you could have done it in 4h 52m. Could've saved yourself another 2 hours!

Maybe I should have said, 106 v 100 km/h average over a 1000km journey, for eg, makes a difference of 36 minutes (excluding any hold-ups along the way due to traffic, etc). Hardly earth shattering.

Is that better?

Quote:
I'm very dubious on the 'speed kills' mantra, I reckon the limits are way too low.
Get outta here! Never would have guessed by the way you continually go on about it.

Life's short, Franco. As you get older I'm pretty sure you'll come to appreciate what some of us 'oldies' appreciate: take the time to smell the roses. Or, as per my signature, life's a journey, not a destination.

Quote:
I've pretty much taken the **** out of the speed limit for 12 years and the one time I got caught was by the local police on my local roads - not one camera fine or low range speeding ticket.
I recently heard the tragic story of a guy who died in a plane crash. My work colleague was mates with him. This guy ended up crashing his plane after striking powerlines. The investigation showed that this pilot had a history of breaking the rules. After many, many times of not having any consequences to his actions, he paid the ultimate price. Thankfully for others, he was lined up to overfly the local pub at low altitude before he struck the wires and the plane fell short of the pub. It could have very easily been a different outcome, however.

Now, I'm not suggesting for a second that your actions are dangerous. Just because you've got away with it for so long (apart from the recent gotcha) doesn't mean you'll continue to get away with it. In the safety world, particularly aviation, it's called normalisation of deviance. That is exactly what is happening here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalization_of_deviance

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 22-08-2023 at 02:52 PM.
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: