View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #83
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 
Default Re: E85 vs THE REST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham_h
ok sounding bad
how could it have damaged the engine ?
I got a hire car in Sweden a few years back where they are have tons of E85 at the pump.......that's before I'd heard of the stuff.

I just rock up at the bowser and see this real cheap stuff and think, what a deal, and fill er up! lol.....a non E85 compatible car now has a full tank of the stuff!!

It started and ran OK for a short while, but throughout the day the engine started to feel like it was running on 2 cylinders. Engine light eventually came on and with any slight acceleration or pulling up a hill it would miss and stumble in a big way. Finally realized what had happened and filled up an almost empty tank with ULP the next day but it continued to run crap

The stoich AFR for E85 is 9.8:1 compared to 14.7:1 for petrol, so if you just put heap of E85 without changing the tune, you can see how far out it'll be.....hence the reason for running like a dog.

The danger with doing this is that you are now running on a very lean mixture....ie: your new tune needs to add about 30-40% more fuel.

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote