View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #105
twr7cx

Default Re: Ford Falcon BA-FG Coilovers

Had the wheel alignment done this morning and have since driven about 50kms in the vehicle. It's hard to comment about the performance of the Shockworks product as I made a few significant changes all at the same time:

1. haven't driven the vehicle in about five weeks due to an issue with the roller rocker - so I've been in a Land Rover Discovery TD5 with a 3" lift and 33" tyres (drastically different in ride and handling).
2. I changed the 17" staggered Works Equip for 19" staggered ROH Modena. Besides the larger diameter wheels and smaller side walls, the 19" are also significantly wider both back and front.
3. Fitted a Mal Wood Ford Ute Tramp Rod Kit ( http://www.malwoodauto.com.au/index....=tramp_rod_kit ).
4. Raised the suspension - Tramp Rod Kit above raised the rear suspension by 12mm and when I installed the Shockworks coilovers I increased the front suspension height significantly. The vehicle is now at a ride height approximately equal to a brand new FG XR6.
5. Installed the Shockworks coilovers. These replaced a set of KYB AGX with King Spring 450lb (approx 8kg) coil springs. The Shockworks springs are a higher spring rate of 9kg.
6. The wind gusts today are reaching 60km/h and the ute has been getting blown around a bit on the road.

With all the above in mind I will make the following comments - considering the significant ride height increase, the handling has certainly not suffered one bit. The vehicle feels very planted and steers exactly where you want it to. The handling is better than I expected at this ride height and I imagine the Shockworks units have contributed to this.
The back end feels a bit harsh, likely due to the Tramp Kit and Whiteline rear sway bar (remembering that Falcon utes don't have a rear swaybar from the factory). However, power feels like it's going to the ground significantly better. Coming out of corners on hard acceleration the back end grips and the car goes!
The front suspension is silent in it's operation and I have no negative comments on it. I'll comment more when I've used it for a while and given it a good test.

If anyone is in Tassie and is wanting to check it out at any point, your welcome to contact me.