View Single Post
Old 16-07-2020, 03:33 PM   #64
Trevor 57
is now there

Default Re: Current review of TAFE system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 13 View Post
We may well wonder if Machaelia Cash is aware of these (anecdotal) real life experiences and particularly the state of trades today.
Some excellent points raised, but (please don't take this as an insult) I think we are dreaming !
As stated major employers, government workshops and the military were MAJOR sources of apprenticeship qualified tradesmen. (I am insulted by the populist term tradies). However outsourcing, contracting out, labour hire, cross training and dare I say many trade specific skills/knowledge elements largely becoming redundant. (labour cost vs replacement) If it's not broke etc., off the shelf units and fewer complete maintenance shutdowns.
I do believe that it is time for a different form of apprenticeships, more flexibility, independent??? assessments, provision for building on an introductory qualification fully supported in a work environment.
I appreciate that TAFE is a big target, but while they issue the qualification, check out the proportion of an apprenticeship term is actually spent there.
Back in the day TAFE's delivered 'lock step training and assessment', this means that everyone was at the same point along the journey of their apprenticeship, now we HAVE to do the 'competency based' system, so effectively you have a group of 3rd year apprentices all over the place as some have proved their competency earlier than others - a very difficult environment to teach with a room full of learners, all at different stages

A lot of problem of the 'dumbing down' of trades sits inside the 'approved' Training Packages', no-one on here has criticised them, maybe they should go and have a look at them, because they are the 'bible' we (Registered Training Organisations - both private and public) MUST teach to and assess against - we can't vary

These Training Packages are developed by so-called industry experts along with some boffins

So, if you baggers care to go and look a them, you might realise the problem, many TAFE trainers feel the pain