Thread: Covid 19 -
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 05:40 PM   #4874
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
To be fair, only 1 state currently seems to have an issue. Cases popping up in other states can largely be traced back to that one state as well.

Other states used similar strategies for quarantining returning australians.

There must be some other underlying issue as to why Victoria (Melbourne) have failed to get the virus under control. I don't think it is a second wave either as the virus was never fully under control, so its just a continuation of the original outbreak.

Yes, Melbourne takes a fair percentage of international air travel. Is this really the reason though? There are still passengers returning from overseas to most other states yet not resulting in the situation we see in Melbourne.

Is it the diverse culture of the population? Who knows.

Is it the fact that many in Melbourne feel overly 'oppressed' and just a general lack of respect for authority? I must admit i don't do social media at all but i don't tend to hear of too many groups promoting civil disobedience to the same degree as Melbourne. Maybe thats just a case of selective reporting though?

Whatever the reason, the fact is, other states have handled the situation fairly well. I would say the vast majority of problems comes down to individual behaviour and mindset. I can only comment on SA as thats where i live, but going back a few months to when it all started, compliance was pretty good. I have been fortunate enough to keep my job (albeit 20% reduced hours and money) and whilst cycling to and from work, it was dead out and about. Yes, our population is substantially smaller and less dense, as is the size of the metro area, but i think compliance is at the root of it all.

I see it as a cop out to blame authority or poorly trained staff. Most individuals knew what they 'should' be doing and not doing.
It's obvious, look at the post codes with the most cases and where the community transmission is occuring.

I've covered it before but it's to do with Melbourne being divided up into ethnic communities with their own micro economies - it's a view if you aren't part of our community than you can get ****ed, my grandparents think exactly the same about the pandemic, they don't see the government as being able to dictate to them how to live their lives.

It's not one particular ethnicity that's the problem, it's mismanagement of helping migrants fit into Melbourne society, they mismanaged it from the 1940s when my grandparents migrated here and they've mismanaged it with the Sudanese they dumped here in the mid 00s and everything in between over the past 80 years.

It's more prominent in Melbourne because it's the most monocultural city in the nation - North West, West and parts of the South East.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
But they looked like legit businesses in the malls... I give random people way too much credit... God only knows what the nail places were then, all the chemicals there...

Edit: surf trip with the lads gets to the Gold Coast... we notice every shop front on the highway seems to be a tattoo parlour, a massage place, or dog grooming. One of the boys notices a tattoo removal place and declares the operator a genius. That's what an economy looks like when you have no economy.
Imagine living in Melbourne when it's economy is built around art, culture and hospitality and then you have a pandemic and the government forces closed all the art, culture and hospitality businesses

Remember when we actually made things other than food and fancy coffee? Now it's a service economy servicing nothing.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 02-08-2020 at 05:45 PM.
4 users like this post: