Thread: Covid 19 -
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #4867
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
Just put them in a hotel with police who are actually qualified to do the job and there won’t be an issue.

No different to the compound setup they had at the high density housing a few weeks back.

It does speak volumes that the states and indeed the country appear to have no established infrastructure to deal with this kind of quarantine situation, something that needs to be fixed once we move past the current virus.
To be fair, only 1 state currently seems to have an issue. Cases popping up in other states can largely be traced back to that one state as well.

Other states used similar strategies for quarantining returning australians.

There must be some other underlying issue as to why Victoria (Melbourne) have failed to get the virus under control. I don't think it is a second wave either as the virus was never fully under control, so its just a continuation of the original outbreak.

Yes, Melbourne takes a fair percentage of international air travel. Is this really the reason though? There are still passengers returning from overseas to most other states yet not resulting in the situation we see in Melbourne.

Is it the diverse culture of the population? Who knows.

Is it the fact that many in Melbourne feel overly 'oppressed' and just a general lack of respect for authority? I must admit i don't do social media at all but i don't tend to hear of too many groups promoting civil disobedience to the same degree as Melbourne. Maybe thats just a case of selective reporting though?

Whatever the reason, the fact is, other states have handled the situation fairly well. I would say the vast majority of problems comes down to individual behaviour and mindset. I can only comment on SA as thats where i live, but going back a few months to when it all started, compliance was pretty good. I have been fortunate enough to keep my job (albeit 20% reduced hours and money) and whilst cycling to and from work, it was dead out and about. Yes, our population is substantially smaller and less dense, as is the size of the metro area, but i think compliance is at the root of it all.

I see it as a cop out to blame authority or poorly trained staff. Most individuals knew what they 'should' be doing and not doing.