View Single Post
Old 23-07-2020, 03:10 PM   #14
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Sometimes I envy my Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
Rough... hard to imagine that hating your wife means you'd abandon a child you obviously had a bond with.

I'm sure there was always pros and cons to any time - my children will probably talk about the times I grew up in because I'll be the old codger reminiscing.

Even at 35 I reminisce about the days of my childhood where my parents owned pubs up until I was about 10. My parents ended up bankrupt but boy in the lead up to that it was some fun times and they appeared to have so much freedom. Probably a bit skewed from a 10yos memory, but eh.

My old man grew up in a very catholic household that even in his late teens early twenties involved taking the parents to the supermarket on Saturday and church on Sundays. Chores, many chores. I'm sure it wasn't all rosey.
The funny thing (not ha ha funny) about my dad was as kids, my sister is 4 years older, my brother 6 years older, at the dinner table mum would yell at him because he wouldnt really speak with us. So he would ask us kids if we have anything to talk about? We would typically say no. He was easily approchable if you wanted to talk, but if there was nothing to talk about, there was nothing to talk about.
So im 33, separated from my wife, my kid lives with her mum. I often call him and ask how was school etc, and all he says is good. Its almost like talking to cardboard. But i find it better as a parent to speak over house party. That way, its just to the little bloke, not to others, i can get a reaction and some speak out of him by changing my profile pic to funny photos of him as a little bloke. And i have my fun reminding him of the time he got his head stuck inbetween 2 vending machines. He thinks im the biggest man (not true) because i have heaps of tools and as far as he is concerned i can fix anything (i cant). Its not that i use it to buy affection, but the things i was i into as a kid, my kid is into, so his mum doesnt understand boy stuff, but my kid loves it.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: