View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 08:25 PM   #195
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Towing a Caravan - Mechanical strain etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post

I remember when young Dad said been in boats for years.

Took a small boat out and when returning it was time to park it etc.

Apparently Dad forgot boats don't have brakes so came in a bit hot and it was an ugly (but extremely funny, not dangerous) end to a great day on the water!!
How hot is a bit hot? Slow as in sort of idle speeds, reverse is the brakes. Anything above that or say 5 knots or above, reverse can potentially ruin your day and outdrive.
A 2 tonne boat would have to be on a dual axle trailer. Im not sure how that would affect down weight. Never towed a tandem.
I have towed slightly over 2t a few times before in diesel utes rated to more then 2t, and the only difference towing the 'dead' weight compared to towing my boat behind my car, which is still effectively still weight, is the boat trailer is wider then the car and longer then any other trailer i have towed. Towing a cherry picker at 1950kgs, the weight doesnt change. Towing a machine trailer with a scissor lift at +/- 2050kgs the weight doesnt change. Towing a boat with an empty tank then dumping 140L of fuel in, that sort of changes the feel a bit. My boat fuelled up is around the 1600kg mark. And to quantify that estimation, 5.3m fibreglass hull, 350kg trailer (or so the compliance plate says), iron block 4.3L v6 that the book says weighs 465kgs dry. Chuck an outdrive on it and the rest like interior etc. But, this is a rant about braked trailers, not going from an empty box trailer with no brakes to a loaded box trailer. Most cars have no issue with a loaded trailer with no brakes as trailer brakes are required over a certain weight, and unless its a monster box trailer, it wont have/need brakes as the car is capable of doing the stopping unassisted. Unless its a falcon. You can have the best trailer brakes in existance and the front rotors will warp anyways. But with a falcon, they all do that.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: