Old 27-07-2020, 04:50 PM   #188
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia - China - Poltics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
They either need:

A) Regime change

B) Clean up their poor human rights record with the 1.5M people they have in concentration camps and recognize Taiwan as an independent nation.

C) Everyone refuses to trade with them.

The first one would end in a nuclear war if it was done by traditional methods so hopefully that's off the cards.

Preferably achieving B through option C - hurt them where it counts.
Horse has bolted to go down C alone, so C alone is not likely. There are many "poor" countries that want to get out of the rat race, and China offers them an opportunity. Part of the angst at the moment is that they are gaining influence? Which suggests they are gaining support? Maybe not from "the allies" but looks like they are in other parts, particular middle east and africa, and possibly pacific islands. And all the noise about them taking over various UN bodies. You get appointed by votes? I dunno I haven't looked into how the various UN bodies work. Is it votes or rotational like the EU? I still think Europe will be the king maker.

Can't see A happening without more support from the rest of the world, particularly Europe. What frightens me most is that they have two mad dogs on their side with nuclear capabilities. Nuclear war in the SCS would be disastrous for the region, and I think we are at the border of that region. Immediate deaths and injuries aside, what is the lingering effect of several nuclear detonations? Will it contaminate the area and for how long? What happens to all the food source that ASEAN rely on. Could the same food source make its way over here? I'm heading over to Goose's backyard if this eventuates.

I think Xi and Putin would back Trump, not because of policies, but because of how the policies would be applied. Trump or Biden, policy on China would be similar. But I think Biden and his team would be far more measured and strategic, making them more dangerous to the enemy.

Whilst some might find the tshirt funny, consider that there are a lot of people originally from China living in Australia. They have nothing to do with their government's policies. Many of them may have left because of the government, but it doesn't mean they hate their country. This is where some people are blurring the lines between issues with the government vs the country and its people. Can' wait for parliament to sit again so I can hear what Pauline has to say, forget about the burka, I wouldn't be surprised if she walked in with the tshirt on :P. Ok, enough of the sermon.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote