View Single Post
Old 08-05-2024, 11:06 PM   #2
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: When do you service your vehicle - by distance or by time?

The factory has already stretched out the interval from 10k to 15k and that's fine if you use a good full synth oil and good filter.

Bare in mind "hardly driving", with lots of cold short trips is bad, so by the time it gets to 15k the oil has degraded even more than what is considered normal use.

If you are currently expecting to jump into it and drive it anywhere then you should change the oil every 12 months, ie don't stretch it out to 2 years just because it takes that long to travel 15000kms.

Note: On a hardly driven car I would put in a synthetic oil and try change it every 12 months, but I would stretch it out if it's sitting in the driveway and I have no plans to go anywhere any time soon. IE, no rush to reset the clock for another 12m if the car is sitting there with no plans of going anywhere.

I would change the oil before the first time it's got to move somewhere and I plan on driving it. E: I haven't changed the 14 month old oil in the BA yet, but that's because I'm not even using it - it's ute, I use it to pick up parts and I have no projects anymore. My BMW E34 project has gone and the nissan patrol can pick up it's own parts.

Last edited by oldel; 08-05-2024 at 11:15 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: