View Single Post
Old 29-11-2022, 10:45 PM   #31
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: China protests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
I don't normally do these threads.

But someone above says Xi was elected (fair enough) and someone later says he's president for life. Did the Chinese people elect him president for life?
Yeh I said that. To (over) simplify it and draw a comparison to what we are used to, it would go something like this. You, the pleb, get to vote for your local council members. At that level, there are several parties (gobsmacked?). But then only local council members can vote for the next level, say state and territory reps. Then only state and territory reps can vote for the next level, say federal. At all levels above the lowest, there is only one party. At the very top, senior party members choose their leader who becomes president. I think thats right? Maybe Tich can confirm.

Xi had the presidency term limit removed, which was previously 2 terms. But to make that change he had to get support from the party, which he did. There are close to 100m CCP members. As long as he has support from senior ranks of the CCP, he is basically president for life (or as long as he wants) The key thing though is, he needs their continuous support, cos if he ever looses it, he can be purged just like anyone else. There is a presidential election every 5 years I think. Bottom line is, he ain't a King, he is just an "elected" president.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: