View Single Post
Old 12-07-2021, 08:51 PM   #2
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Car wash stations - rinse options

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Committed a cardinal sin this arvo, went to one of those self served BP car washing stations. Its been quite a while since I used one. I noticed there were two finishing options, "clear coat protection" and "spotless rinse".

Curious what these are.

What chemicals are they using for the clear coat protection? And is there any effects if you get it on your windows and windscreen?

What is added to the rinse to make it a spotless rinse?
I'm not entirely educated on these two car wash options but some Google info suggests the following -

Clear Coat Protection -
"Clear Coat Protectant is a polymer fortified formula. This product provides a long-lasting protective coating on all applied surfaces to protect the vehicle from the environment. Gives vehicles longer-lasting protection compared to traditional waxes or drying agents. Enhances beading, high drying quality, and a bright shine."

Some car wash places also list this sort of thing as "Wax". I don't know what is in these products but clearly they are water activated spray waxes/sealants. While not as durable as a regular wax, sealant or coating, they are better than nothing at all.

Spot Free Rinse -
"Many professional car wash locations feature a ”spot free rinse“ with reverse osmosis water. Reverse osmosis reduces the TDS of water by about 95% and does assure a spot-free rinse with most waters..."

Basically meaning water that has had minerals and salts removed to prevent water spots that etch into the clear coat.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: