View Single Post
Old 23-07-2015, 07:37 PM   #697
Fyrestorm
Spanner Thrower

Default Re: Common Problems with the AU??

Hmm, Suppose I better add my 'cursed' wagon onto this list. (and solutions etc if i can remember)

Pre-Ownership (friend of mine brought it in 2011, i brought it off her in october 2013)

Installed aftermarket LPG. Nothing but headaches since really.
Thermostat replaced at 197,000km. Non-lpg unit originally, replaced with an LPG friendly one. (difference was apparently an extra hole for water flow to stop the converter from freezing, and lowered opening temp.)
Replaced front and rear brake pads at 210,000km (give or take 20,000km)
Starter motor died in 2013, Replaced with brand new unit.
Front window (drivers door) came out of the clips, replaced whole door (somehow easier and cheaper. window was tinted, bonus?) Somewhere in 2012.
Driver's Seat bolts snapped. Base becomes a handy frisbee. Yet to fix (cbf'ed. just need to re-weld or replace seat.) think this happened late 2011.
Standard services (oil, Filters, etc.)

Since I've had it..

Replaced thermostat (had 140,000km on it.) December 2013. $20?
Muffler broke at the second barrel. Dec 2013. broken welds at the barrel, replaced whole middle section. (free, pulled from spare car.)
Jan 2014: Replaced front brake pads and rotors. drivers rotor got chewed by the pads. T2 Rotor's, Bendix pads. ($100 per rotor. Pads $60?)
Changed cluster with fairmont model. Feb 2014. New cluster added 25-30,000km onto odometer (didnt change the chip.)
March 2014: Muffler broke (again!) Snapped the welds at the cat. 330,000km or so on it at the time. Solution: New cat. $250. (forgot about the spare hi-flow i had.)
March 2014: Fuel Pump died the day after the muffler came off for the second time. $50 from wreckers. (didnt work.) Replaced again with another unit when i had the motor out in Feb/March this year (2015) new unit had a faulty sender, re-used old sender. Drove on LPG in the mean time.
Thought i broke the alternator. turns out i was a dumbass and didnt plug the cluster back in. $55 for a second hand one from the wreckers. April 2014 i think.
August 2014: Passenger front ball joint seperated. dropped control arm into brake rotor's. replaced control arm and ball joint. Gotta watch them potholes.
December 2014. Replaced the coil pack. figured 'new' one was in better condition. no differences noticed.
Driver's window did the 'fall off the clips' thing again. ended up pulling the trim off and sikaflexing the crap out of it. had to do it a few times (need to replace the clips, still havn't done that.)
Replaced the flow sensor in the coolant bottle. cant remember when but the light stopped flashing. $15 from wreckers.
Jan 2015: somehow dropped a weight or twisted the driveshaft. didn't notice until the gearbox had alot of issues. still didnt find it until i replaced the shaft with a second one in May.
Feb 2015: Extension case seal and bush blew out, 375,000km (on odometer. about 360,000km on the car.) reco extension case + bush/seal from mechanic. $80.
Feb 2015: Speedo sender failed. Towed to mechanic. (i was late for work.) new sender ~$100 fitted.
Feb 2015: transmission blew completely. sheared the teeth off the torque converter and did something else internally to the gearbox that rendered it totalled. did a total overhaul of motor and gearbox (there's a big list of crap here. It'll be in my build log.)
April 2015: Replaced Radiator top hose (burst.)

I swear there's alot more. Just can't remember what it all is. the Missus could tell me though.
Current Mods: Fairmont Cluster, LED's Changed to Purple, Lukey Competition Extractors, 2.5" Hi flow Cat, Hi-Stall Converter, ED Box with FG internals, AUIII VCT Fuel Rail + Injectors, F6 Fuel Regulator, Stereo upgrade, Aftermarket LPG.

Awaiting Wife Approval Mods:

TE50 Front Bar, AU Tickford/SR Interior, Roof Racks, Slimline Weathershields, 2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, 27mm Front Sway Bar, Other Shiny things!
Fyrestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: