View Single Post
Old 24-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #3
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Default Re: Preparing au for track day

The most stress is going to be on brake pads, fluid and rotors. Make sure the pads are suitable for street/track use, rotors are slotted or similar, and use high quality (FRESH) brake fluid (Super Dot 4 at minimum). Seen too many cars at track days boiling brakes by not putting a bit of effort into preparation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
What to take to the track seems to have more to do with the space you have in the car and the length and/or cost of the event than what you might need.
For private practice days with about 1-1.5 hours of driving I tend to also take a minimal set of tools. Spanners, sockets, hammers, electrical testing, screwdrivers, pliers, crimping tools, hacksaw, knives, tyre pressure gauge, tyre pump, broom, fuel funnel, jack and 4 chassis stands, timing light
I have a box of consumables (oils (gearbox, engine, diff), water, oil filter, fuel filter, grease, head gasket, manifold gaskets, grease, steel wool loctite, spare bolts, nuts screws, lightglobes, crimps, wheel nuts and studs) for those 1 hour long jobs that may need to be done.
If I'm going away on a 'fly away' weekend. ie not returning home I'll take a spare gearbox and diff, starter motor and alternator. and a few more specific tools to perform longer tasks overnight.
I also take 2 spare wheels with tyres however a complete set of wets if permitted and a spare dry or two would be good for a 'flyaway'.
I take rags, spare clothes, race suit, boots, gloves, and a helmet. My wallet and a lot of cash.

Bearing in mind mine is a old car trailer queen race car!

JP
Most of us (inc. the OP) are not running dedicated track cars, punishing them for hours at a time or squeezing every last bit out of their somewhat modified street cars. Definite overkill.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote