View Single Post
Old 28-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #51
lisaishername

Default Re: $700-a-year increase running an airconditioner & snap price rises of as much as 15,000 %

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
hasn't happened, never will, too many safety measures in place to protect the grid and don't forget the grid is substantially over constructed, one of the so called reasons our power prices are so high.

everytime this is dragged out I see chicken little in the tabloids.

as for overloading the system with too many solar systems, I suggest you do a little more homework.

everybody that has home solar installed must comply with regulations, as in licensing the generating system to comply with allowable voltages relating to the particular line they about to "feed into".

we all must have a PVSEG number, or Photo voltaic Small Energy Generator number and your system must comply with the capabilities of the line it is to tie into.

if the line is to be "overloaded" the license will either not be granted or the line will be upgraded to handle the extra load.

once again can't happen.
It wouldn't be an "overload" condition (is this for lack of a better word?) if you're feeding too much voltage into the power grid anyway, you're using the wrong terminology and making vast assumptions over what I meant.

I meant that a dangerous condition involving the voltage rating of appliances (neighbours appliances) burning out as a result of inadequate voltage regulation on the local power grid.

And you do sound pretty knowledgeable on the topic but I would hazard to guess you are also very self-assured. Not sure if that is a bonus or what.

Oh and the new york blackout occured as a result of a single tree in a high voltage power line corridor and a guy forgetting to turn on said safety equipment after repairing it the day before.

I agree though that the chances are slim.
#1 You would need safety systems to be offline or in disrepair.
#2 You would need a lack of maintenance in hv power line corridors.
#3 You would need a solar flare. (And safety equipment like earthing at the generating station to be in disrepair or non functioning state)
#4 Nuclear War.

So still slim.