View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #56
Phil B
Clevo power!

Default Re: Phil B's XB coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Urathane is quite firm and can affect the ride quality and noise transmitted into the cabin. Some people like the feeling of urathane in the rear leafs. I'd rather the better ride quality. There are also some issues with durability of urathane with some people reporting these bushes flogging out within a few years. Other people that I know just yank them straight back out and put rubber in.

Sway bar saddle and link pins in urathane are good as it will make the sway bar more effective.

The lower control arm won't transmit much noise or harshness. IMO the castor rod needs a rubber bush to allow more flex.

The upper control arms are probably the older style metal joint with grease nipples. It use to be popular to retrofit later model arms with rubber bushes but this trend seems to have been reversed in recent years with the older style becoming more popular again.

You have air shocks in the rear end. I would bin them and replace the shocks all round with some good ones, like Konis. Look at a rear sway bar too.
Ok interesting. I'll look at the new shocks too then, will they make it drive nicer? Also do you normally do new springs with the shocks or not? It does have a rear sway bar, I just got dad to check for me.

The problem with all this is though that I'm itching to get it on the road and drive it, but new shocks would make it nicer. I definitely plan on doing the bushes before I get new front tyres and a wheel alignment because that makes sense. Would new shocks need a new wheel alignment? Thinking of doing them after I've driven it a bit, get my fix, then have it all organised and drop them in.

The purple monster, daily BA XR6 turbo.

Scale Lego Technic XB Coupe with working bits! Build thread

Last edited by Phil B; 01-05-2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Checking
Phil B is offline   Reply With Quote