View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 12:39 AM   #25
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicksy
when i use to work at tint-a-car, we use to fit the electronic rust preventers, and had cars come back with rust on them haha or the units rusted themselves,
lol.. yep. i used to see newish cars with the taint-a-car units on that were rusting quite often. i used to do rust protection as part of my business for 9 years and did a lot of research into the electronic systems. even through all my contacts in the industry i could not find anyone who could explain how the Taint-a-car unit was supposed to work. they defy any of the reconised electrical theoris .

as mentioned above the sacroficial cathodic systems only work when the part to be protected is submersed in an electrolite (they have been widely used in the marine industry for close to a centry).

the anodic systems are the ones designed for use on dry or free standing vehicals and constructions. as already stated they use the paint or an existing layer of oxidisation ( surface rust) to carry negative charged electrons to neutralise the electrical potential in the normally positivly charged metal. this inturn will help to prevent the electrolisis reaction that is needed to form rust.

the two prominent makers of this style of system was/is "E.R.P.S." and "Couplertec" . my prefered was the E.R.P.S. system .

if you do the research they dont claim to work magic but to help slow a natural process .

when i bought my BA ute new i fitted the E.R.P.S. as well as applying some chemical coating where i could inside of body panels.

chemical coatings will never be able to protect all areas due to access restrictions and electronic systems also have limitations so with both you should be pretty well covered.

my ute is only a few months off 7 years old now, within 20km of the coast and has had very little time under cover, and is showing no signs of rust.

i fitted hundreds of E.R.P.S. systems when i had the shop and the only compliants / warrenties i had was the little red LED power light would sometimes fail. when tested the systems were still working.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote