View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
ChemicalHorizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtorque
Yeah cs123, I think bushbasher kinda nailed the scientific side of it, from what I've read about these units. I dont think there are any sacrificial anodes involved. Need to do what ever I can as I dont intend selling the truck. Have been useing the normal methods of rustproofing over the years but its hard to get it into the areas where there is double panneling. Thanks for the replies thus far fellas. Great site .
I dont think nailed is the right word to use...

2Fe => 2Fe2+ +4e- (anode reaction)

O2 + 2H2O + 4e- => 4OH- (example cathode reaction)

It sounds like your talking about Impressed Current Cathodic Protection, which depends on a supply of high energy (relative high energy) electrons to stifle anodic reactions at the metal surface. Low energy electrons are picked up at a non-reactive anoide bed, and are given additional energy by the action of a rectifier to be more energetic than the electrons that would be produced in teh corrosion reaction.

The energy for the "electron energy pump" is provided by ordinaary AC current. The effect is the structure being protected in the same was as that derved from sacrificial anode protectino systems, however the anode need not be consumed.

Materials used are usually graphite, or high silicon cast iron.

In general, they dont work all that well in cars....submerged pipes however...that where it does work.
ChemicalHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote