View Single Post
Old 24-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #24
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD
Hi SVO,

Thanks for the "clarification", but I'm afraid that you are at odds with the manufacturer who quite clearly defines a "rotation" as maintaining the tyres on the same sides of the vehicle, whether or not they are directional - I don't believe the OE tyres on Mondeos are directional. I've owned five FWD vehicles now and if my memory serves me correctly the same advise regarding tyre rotation has been provided for every one of them. It also advises the rotation occur at intervals as low as 5,000 km, and, on checking the service schedule, as has been indicated earlier, tyre rotations are not a part of either an "A" or a "B" service, so owner's have this responsibility all to themselves.

I'm a little confused about the comment regarding the LFW being the driving wheel as well, since if this were the case I'm sure the vehicle would tend to veer when mobile.

Hopefully you will clarify this - thanks

Cheers

As for being at odds with the manufacturer, yes. Manufacturers don't pay for your tyres, so they don't really care. The rotation side of things has been like that for as many years as I can remember and has been effective just as long. Half the problem these days is, most places don't care what sort of mileage you get from your tyres. The sooner they're stuffed, the sooner you're digging in your pocket for newies.

As for the LHF being the drive wheel. Yes it does veer slightly. What it does is actually push the car up the camber of the road, to allow it to drive straight.

If you were to look at Caster readings taken from a front wheel drive car, you'd notice the caster is shorter on the left, compared to the right. So to help the car drive straight, the manufacturers make the LF the drive wheel.

Hope this clears it up a little bit more

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote